PC Overheating (again)

Dragosanii

Hi all,

Coming back to the forums to get some advice as my rig is overheating (again) under normal operation (playing 1 game, different games, nothing else open)....

My spec first:

Case NZXT PHANTOM 410 WHITE GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD FX-9370 Eight Core CPU (4.4GHz-4.7GHz/16MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/Sli)
Memory (RAM) 32GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 290X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H80i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Change to: ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

The issue:
Playing The Division (all gfx etc set to medium), after about 30 minutes, the heat pouring out of the side of my case is insane...the LED on the Corsair H80i Hydro goes from sky blue (normal) to white then to red and the pc shuts down soon afterwards....
When I feel the cooling pipes, they are VERY hot....
If I shutdown the game during this process, the rig cools down after about 3 minutes or idling and the LED colours return to normal.....

I did have an issue after I bought this with the H80 Water cooloer, which was RMA'd and PCSPEC kindly upgraded to the H80i.....But I'm wondering if this is starting to go faulty again?

I downloaded an Open Hardware Monitor piece of software and also run the Corsair Link software to monitor what is going on, and it does look like the cooling unit is not cooling as it should be. The link software says the pumps are running ok and the fans are running ok....but it just doesn't seem to be cooling when I'm playing some games.....

The games this doesn't happen: Wildstar, Overwatch, GTAV, Elite:Dangerous, The Witcher 3 (although this can be heavy on the gfx side) and anything with not too much heavy load on the system.
Games it happens with: The Division, Sniper Elite 3, No Man's Sky (Do Not Buy), Hurtworld, Payday 2.....

I keep my rig fully protected from virus and malware, fully up to date with security patches (Windows 10 64bit) and the latest video drivers (currently running AMD Radeon version 16.8.2)......

Any ideas? Thanks in advance....

- Drago

Dragosanii

Hi Ubuysa,

Yep, I have two pieces of software that show me the operating temps (that do the same job as Hardware Monitor).....

I've had the case apart today and cleaned out all the fans (they were quite clean with no buildup), and took apart my gfx card fans and heatsink (the GPU did have quite a bit of dust built up), and this is now spotless.....I've also dropped it down a slot closer to the bottom of the case (puts another 2 inches between itself and the cooling pipes of the hydro).....

Temps just before I did this:
The GPU was running up to 82 degrees celcius during a solo mission in The Division....The H80i water cooler seemed to be running at 60 degrees celcius....Managed to finish the mission, and close down The Division successfully and the rig cooled after that....

So, I'll do a few more tests tonight to see how a spotlessly clean GPU performs in an exact solo mission....I'm still a little worried at the physical temperature of the cooling pipes on the water cooler though but we'll see if this changes tonight....

Ok, on a sidenote - Question for those water cooler enthusiasts....
I'm willing to spend some extra monies to maybe upgrade the cooling system so looking for personal reviews (I'll look some up myself also), as to the different makes and models out there and how they perform....I do like the Corsair stuff, but their software is still a little "meh" - I don't think it's written for western english speaking techies as standard - seems to be a translation from eastern/chinese/japanese/taiwanese systems...../shrug and I think the corsair software could be slightly more configurable.....

Thanks all!

- Drago

Dragosanii

Cheers, going to monitor it for a few days....seemingly the GPU clean and moving it a little further away from the pipes seems to have stablized the rig....Haven't had a crash yet and running same things as I was a few days ago....

I'll put it through it's paces later in the week by running three hardcore games whilst recording and streaming and see what breaks first :)