Pc performance getting worse over an hour or so

So, I recently in the last 2 months upgraded my GPU to a ROG 1080. It was fine the first time I put it in, ran great for ages, but recently I've been struggling with some performance issues. I play League of Legends and every time I finish a game on that my pc decides to basically die on me. Performance hits a massive low, things crash and don't respond. Youtube videos struggle to play and I get stuck on endless buffering even for simple music that's 3minutes long, and going back into game my fps slowly deteriorates. I have them capped at 144fps for my monitor but going back into game i struggle to even hit 100, and it gets worse as the game goes on. I initially thought it was a power supply problem with there not being enough power being fed into the system, so I set my CPU back to stock clocks from a stable 4.7ghz back down to 3.7 but that didn't change much as I still had the problem.

I have a 550W CoolerMaster PSU in at the moment, and just wondering if it's a problem with that PSU or the actual pc itself? Any help is much appreciated!

So, after playing 2 games after one another my pc has gone back into "can't function properly" mode and is being really slow. The temperatures I got were about average, my 1080 had a max clock of 1671MHz at a solid 54/55 degrees C and my CPU was at 60-70% (My monitor doesn't show clock speed only Load :( ) throughout with an average temperature of 31 degrees C across all Cores

I hope this information helps :D

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Full spec of the system?

MSI AFterburner will give an on screen display of the missing info,

Pc Spec:
i7-8700K (stock speeds)
ROG GTX 1080 (stock speeds)
MasterWatt 550 PSU
HyperX 2x8GB RAM
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
2x Seagate 1TB HDD

CPU is cooled by a Coolermaster AIO

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just as a quick test (and assuming Windows 10), when it's running sluggish open Task Manager and click the Performance tab. First click the CPU icon on the left, what is the CPU utilisation? Second click the Memory tab, how much RAM is shown as available? Third click the icon for your system disk, it's probably C:, what is the active time reported?

This is a quick and dirty way of seeing whether the sluggishness is caused by excessive CPU use by something, whether you're hammering RAM (and possibly paging), or whether it's queuing for the system drive. Those are commonest resource utilisation causes of sluggishness.

So, PC got sluggish after one game of League, as it had been doing before, so I did everything you said.
The CPU usage hovered around 18-21% (in-game, went down to below 8% after game had finished)
My C: Drive was at 0% active time
and the RAM had an average of 10GB available. (On a range from 9.8GB-10.2GB with 5.9GB being used)

As you can probably tell, this is past my PC knowledge. I know a fair bit about software, but hardware is less of a thing for me at the moment. All this help is very appreciated!

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So, PC got sluggish after one game of League, as it had been doing before, so I did everything you said.
The CPU usage hovered around 18-21% (in-game, went down to below 8% after game had finished)
My C: Drive was at 0% active time
and the RAM had an average of 10GB available. (On a range from 9.8GB-10.2GB with 5.9GB being used)

As you can probably tell, this is past my PC knowledge. I know a fair bit about software, but hardware is less of a thing for me at the moment. All this help is very appreciated!
It doesn't look like a resource contention problem then, though it could still be a hardware issue. TBH the fastest and most reliable way to resolve issues like this us with a clean install, allowing Windows Update to install all drivers. A clean install will also indicate whether it's a hardware issue..

via Tapatalk

I really hope it isn't a hefty problem! I've figured out, that if I restart my game clients once or twice, it fixes the issues in game, but the rest of the PC runs sluggish. I don't know if that helps? I guess it's just resetting things on restart.

I will look into doing a full clean install. I've not done one in a couple of months, and I didn't do one when i installed my new GPU when I got it. So it could maybe be drivers clashing? I'm not sure. I'll give it ago tonight so It can install everything I need overnight.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I really hope it isn't a hefty problem! I've figured out, that if I restart my game clients once or twice, it fixes the issues in game, but the rest of the PC runs sluggish. I don't know if that helps? I guess it's just resetting things on restart.

I will look into doing a full clean install. I've not done one in a couple of months, and I didn't do one when i installed my new GPU when I got it. So it could maybe be drivers clashing? I'm not sure. I'll give it ago tonight so It can install everything I need overnight.
Ah, that'll be it then.

Uninstalling driver software through windows will not actually uninstall everything.

I'd recommend using DDU to fully uninstall any and all driver packages, then reboot:

Then reinstall the latest direct from nVidia.

So, I did the DDU and not much changed, there was a slight improvement on the sluggishness, but I think i should probably reset windows at this point. I'll see how it goes today, will probs reset tonight

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, I did the DDU and not much changed, there was a slight improvement on the sluggishness, but I think i should probably reset windows at this point. I'll see how it goes today, will probs reset tonight
Don't reset it from within windows, that will leave any issues there are currently in the ISO.

Download a current copy from microsoft and create a bootable USB and install fresh from that.