PC Powers on, Nothing on Screen

nyvedj

Hi there, this is my fist post in this site!

The issue I am having is one of my computers turns on, all the fans and lighting are running fine, but the screen rarely shows any life. I also receive no power to the mouse & keyboard (don't light up) unless it reaches the BIOS screen.

I say "rarely" because every once in a while it will actually bring up the BIOS screen (see attached image).

IMG_0033.jpg

Notice how it asks to "recover BIOS setting" and every time I manage to get to this screen (as I said, rare) I enter BIOS and all settings are ready aside from setting the time. I set the time and check all settings (make sure it recognises my HDDs, that all temps are fine etc) then choose to "Save and Reset." After doing this though, the screen just goes black again and nothing happens. I then restart my PC and it won't even get to BIOS again (well, not for many more restarts at least).

What I am looking to achieve in this thread is any ideas as to what is causing the problem and/or a possible solution!! Read below for what I have tried so far:

1. Yes, I have googled the issue A LOT and seen many people have had the same issue. I almost never make a thread like this because google almost always fixes my problems.

2. I have tried using an old PSU. I wasn't confident the old PSU was reliable enough though, so I went and bought a new 625W PSU. So that's three different PSUs with no luck.

3. I have two monitors plugged in and have tried both the GPU DVI slots and the on-board DVI graphic slot with the same results.

4. I have unplugged the GPU while booting (on-board graphics are well capable of supporting my PC).

5. I have unplugged all SATA devices + the GPU then tried booting.

6. I have reset the battery.

7. I have reset the CMOS jumper + the battery.

8. I have tried a different RAM slot.

9. I have replaced the RAM with RAM I know to be working (the RAM from the PC I am typing all this from in fact).

10. I have taken out the CPU to "air it off" for a minute (multiple times) and reinserted it.

11. I have replaced the power cord.

Basically, I am almost out of ideas. It was working fine for 4 months, then suddenly refuses to work for an unknown reason.
I only just considered replacing the CPU as I type this, but that is a lot more time and money.. and time I don't really have. I could possibly try and swap it with the CPU in this PC, but I am very worried about doing that and will not do it unless it is a complete last resort (even just to check if it's the issue).

So I hope some people here know their stuff and can point me in the right direction, or better yet, tell me what my problem is.

steaky360

When it doesn't restart I assume you get no BIOS Post beeps or anything at all?

Also I'm guessing this isn't a PCS pc (or I'd suggest giving tech support a call!)

nyvedj

When it doesn't restart I assume you get no BIOS Post beeps or anything at all?

Also I'm guessing this isn't a PCS pc (or I'd suggest giving tech support a call!)

Nah no beeps. And it's actually a home theatre PC I custom built back in July. Didn't want to mention that in case people just wanted to dismiss my problem as a "build error" or whatever.

steaky360

Cant be a build error if its been working in the past :)

No beeps usually indicates something like a RAM/motherboard failure - and from your description it certainly could be a mobo failure - Did you use new parts when you built the rig? Your mobo is probably still under warranty, might be worth getting in-touch with the manufacturer for some advice?

nyvedj

Yeah mobo or CPU seem to be the only things left for possible culprits. All equipment was bought new except for the GPU (bought it off a friend).

My big concern now then is getting a replacement under warranty.. I leave in four days to a different state for a few months and will be leaving this PC behind. I'll need to check to make sure I have a full year (or more) warranty on the mobo otherwise I may strip the board out of the PC and take it with me haha

steaky360

Haha, aye, well its definitely worth checking depending on the manufacturer you often get 2 year warranties now I believe (even 3 in some cases in the EU).