PC Problem

Weary

I had PCS pc delivered yesterday but have had problems. When the pc has been left any time it power cycles for a long time when turned on before eventually booting into windows (it can take over an hour and many attempts). When I eventually got windows working all was going well until I tried to load the programs from the motherboard cd that came with the pc. A message said the pc needed to re-boot but when I did this it booted straight into the bios screen. I Cannot select the 2tb Samsung 970 Evo plus m.2NVME to boot from as it does not appear as a boot option, although it shows up under the PCIE screen. Sometimes the pc does boot into windows but it’s only for a few seconds; it shows a message saying that there is an update to ‘app’ which I believe is a program on the cd and asks if I want to install it. I can’t do anything before it blue-screens. Most of the time the system will only boot into the bios screen. I have no idea how to reset the bios or even if I should and I am guessing that this would not cure the power cycling.

I have sent messages to PCS but with the present covid situation it’s not fair to expect a response quickly so seeking help from the forum.

System is a core i9 – 10700KF processor. Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master motherboard, 32GB Corsair DDR4 eam, 24GB Zotac RTX 3090, the Samsung drive already mentioned and a 1200W corsair power supply. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Hi there. It might be useful if you copy and paste the full system specs from your orders page on the main PCS website, just so we know everything in there.

First question, when you initially set it up, did you run Windows update repeatedly until no more were available?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had PCS pc delivered yesterday but have had problems. When the pc has been left any time it power cycles for a long time when turned on before eventually booting into windows (it can take over an hour and many attempts). When I eventually got windows working all was going well until I tried to load the programs from the motherboard cd that came with the pc. A message said the pc needed to re-boot but when I did this it booted straight into the bios screen. I Cannot select the 2tb Samsung 970 Evo plus m.2NVME to boot from as it does not appear as a boot option, although it shows up under the PCIE screen. Sometimes the pc does boot into windows but it’s only for a few seconds; it shows a message saying that there is an update to ‘app’ which I believe is a program on the cd and asks if I want to install it. I can’t do anything before it blue-screens. Most of the time the system will only boot into the bios screen. I have no idea how to reset the bios or even if I should and I am guessing that this would not cure the power cycling.

I have sent messages to PCS but with the present covid situation it’s not fair to expect a response quickly so seeking help from the forum.

System is a core i9 – 10700KF processor. Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master motherboard, 32GB Corsair DDR4 eam, 24GB Zotac RTX 3090, the Samsung drive already mentioned and a 1200W corsair power supply. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Can you post your full specs from the order page?

Weary

Hope this helps

PCS P209 RGB MID TOWER CASE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB600L CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700KF (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10850K (3.6GHz) 20MB Cache
MotherboardGigabyte Z490 AORUS Master (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI, Wi-Fi) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (up to 2400MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED LightingNONE
Extra Case Fans1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3x PCS ARGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemNO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hope this helps

PCS P209 RGB MID TOWER CASE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB600L CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700KF (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10850K (3.6GHz) 20MB Cache
MotherboardGigabyte Z490 AORUS Master (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI, Wi-Fi) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (up to 2400MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED LightingNONE
Extra Case Fans1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3x PCS ARGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemNO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
What method did you use to install windows?

Weary

When the pc booted properly the first time it booted into a windows 10 setup. I had not asked for an operating system as I have a retail copy of windows 10 and did not need it. However I followed the widows set up procedure but entered the product key of my windows retail version to activate it. Loved the pc when it was working.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When the pc booted properly the first time it booted into a windows 10 setup. I had not asked for an operating system as I have a retail copy of windows 10 and did not need it. However I followed the widows set up procedure but entered the product key of my windows retail version to activate it. Loved the pc when it was working.
That will be the issue then, you can't use the test windows as it's not properly configured, it's just used for testing purposes.

You'll need to clean install your own copy.

Weary

There was never any mention of it being a test windows 10; it let me do all the windows updates and confirmed activation. Even if this was a test windows how would that explain the power cycling or resolve the bios problem?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There was never any mention of it being a test windows 10; it let me do all the windows updates and confirmed activation. Even if this was a test windows how would that explain the power cycling or resolve the bios problem?
Because it’s not configured. It’s not setup for your hardware so it’s not going to work.

Weary

This will be the first PC that I have bought that has behaved this way from the start but I am no expert. I only know that after installing the hardware successfully yesterday and checking it all worked the PC power cycled again this morning. If a clean install would do the trick can you help with with how I do that. The windows usb stick does not appear as
an option in the boot options in the bios.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This will be the first PC that I have bought that has behaved this way from the start but I am no expert. I only know that after installing the hardware successfully yesterday and checking it all worked the PC power cycled again this morning. If a clean install would do the trick can you help with with how I do that. The windows usb stick does not appear as
an option in the boot options in the bios.
I'm not the person to ask, I'll leave that for others.

If ordering without windows, you really need to know how to install windows, it's basic computer steps on a custom PC. If you don't then you need to buy windows with the PC in which case it's all configured for you.

You'll struggle with a custom PC if you don't know how to install windows, you'll need to know how to manage drivers and general windows update troubleshooting. It's nothing like an off the shelf system.

Weary

I think I may have understated my abilities. I have had many pc's since the late 80's and clean installed many many versions of windows over the years. Installing drivers has never been an issue but in all my time I have never had a new pc that power cycled for an hour before booting. Every clean install I have done has been from a bios showing the media I am installing from as a boot option.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think I may have understated my abilities. I have had many pc's since the late 80's and clean installed many many versions of windows over the years. Installing drivers has never been an issue but in all my time I have never had a new pc that power cycled for an hour before booting. Every clean install I have done has been from a bios showing the media I am installing from as a boot option.
If you understand drivers, then surely you understand that windows has to be configured at a driver level before it can be used?

That version is not configured.

Also, the way you configure windows is very different in windows 10 than in previous versions.

You need to clean install by booting from BIOS as normal, but it's a UEFI bios which you may not be familiar with. You need to boot into UEFI bios and then select the boot device. The USB has to be inserted when selecting the boot device or it won't show.

Weary

Spydertracks you have been very helpful and I am sorry if I appear at all frustrating I certainly do not mean to. You clearly have far more experience of these newer operating systems and machines than I do (I still have the 3.5 disks for Dos). I appreciate that to be able to select the media it needs to be in the machine but that was the problem; it still did not appear in the bios it booted to. I have no experience/ understanding of UEFI and would appreciate your patience a little longer. Would you be able to help with what it is and how I would select this. Thanks again.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
clean install instructions:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Before you do the clean install (which you must do of course) I would suggest you remove the locking screw on the M.2 SSD, remove the drive and then replace it. Ensure it's fully home, then replace the screw.

We've had a few people report weird issues that were resolved by reseating the M.2 drive. From the recycling symptoms you describe it might well be the SSD.

Stuff does sometimes move in transit sadly.