PC Randomly freezes, BSOD or just resets

FunkyMuky

Hi, I bought one of these PCs in June..
Tornado R3 Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 3, GTX 1650, 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
It's not a high-spec PC but it's perfectly fine for the mainly driving sims I use it for.
Everything was going fine for the first few days until I updated Win 10 to rel 2004. Since then, it's kept randomly freezing, resetting or giving me a BSOD. I tried removing the GeForce drivers and re-installing them and I've also now tried resetting or re-installing Windows four times, with the same result. I've checked the temps and they are always way below anywhere that would cause a problem (max 38-39'c). I've tried Heavyload test and MEMTEST, no problems.
It doesn't seem to matter whether or not it's under heavy load, as it'll equally crash when loading a track in iRacing or rFactor2 as it will when watching a video on YouTube. At the weekend, I was just browsing the web and was just about to enter the the payment details on Currys for a new toaster and it just crashed.

Like I said, when it runs fine, it's great - I've streamed games from my XBox to it and then onto Twitch with OBS for 2 hours, not a problem. I'm at my wits end as I can't rely on it.

Can someone please help me with this as I might be doing something wrong with the re-install as it's pulling back my desktop items from the cloud even when the SSD has been wiped.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi, I bought one of these PCs in June..
Tornado R3 Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 3, GTX 1650, 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
It's not a high-spec PC but it's perfectly fine for the mainly driving sims I use it for.
Everything was going fine for the first few days until I updated Win 10 to rel 2004. Since then, it's kept randomly freezing, resetting or giving me a BSOD. I tried removing the GeForce drivers and re-installing them and I've also now tried resetting or re-installing Windows four times, with the same result. I've checked the temps and they are always way below anywhere that would cause a problem (max 38-39'c). I've tried Heavyload test and MEMTEST, no problems.
It doesn't seem to matter whether or not it's under heavy load, as it'll equally crash when loading a track in iRacing or rFactor2 as it will when watching a video on YouTube. At the weekend, I was just browsing the web and was just about to enter the the payment details on Currys for a new toaster and it just crashed.

Like I said, when it runs fine, it's great - I've streamed games from my XBox to it and then onto Twitch with OBS for 2 hours, not a problem. I'm at my wits end as I can't rely on it.

Can someone please help me with this as I might be doing something wrong with the re-install as it's pulling back my desktop items from the cloud even when the SSD has been wiped.
Upgrading to a new Windows version causes issues for many. The solution is a fully clean install.

If your resetting has been via the Windows Reset feature that's not good enough.

You need to download a new copy of Windows 2004 via the Media Creation Tool to a USB stick. You then boot that USB stick and install from scratch (deleting existing partitions).

Once Windows is installed allow Windows Update to install drivers.

FunkyMuky

You need to download a new copy of Windows 2004 via the Media Creation Tool to a USB stick. You then boot that USB stick and install from scratch (deleting existing partitions).

Thanks, I did try this yesterday, but I didn't delete existing partitions - there were quite a lot of them and I didn't want to delete an incorrect one. I don't want to wipe the D: drive (1TB HDD) if I can help it, so can I just delete all the partitions except the D: drive?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, I did try this yesterday, but I didn't delete existing partitions - there were quite a lot of them and I didn't want to delete an incorrect one. I don't want to wipe the D: drive (1TB HDD) if I can help it, so can I just delete all the partitions except the D: drive?
Yes. Do a custom install and delete all partitions on the C: drive. Typically there are four - MSR, EFI, Recovery, System. Highlight the unallocated space that results and click the Next button, the installer will create the correct partition structure snd install Windows.

FunkyMuky

IMG_20200803_173331.jpg
OK, I've tried that - now I've got this..

FunkyMuky

I'm now getting this process up to anywhere between 60-72% before it either crashes with the same error as above or I get BSOD. I'm wondering whether or not this is actually a hardware issue?! Either way, my PC is now just a very expensive disco light. :(

FunkyMuky

Ok. On the off-chance it might be causing a problem, I put the thumb drive into a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 and this has allowed me to get past the errors and I've now got Windows installed. I'll let it update the drivers before I try installing anything on it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok. On the off-chance it might be causing a problem, I put the thumb drive into a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 and this has allowed me to get past the errors and I've now got Windows installed. I'll let it update the drivers before I try installing anything on it.

I'm guessing the USB stick wasn't USB 3 capable.

Definitely run Windows Update until no more updates are found.

FunkyMuky

It's a SanDisk USB 3.0 16GB thumb drive that I bought specifically for this purpose! The same PC wrote the files to it - maybe the basic drivers on Windows installer weren't fully compatible with it?

It's done all the updates and is currently playing YouTube videos of ducks to see if it crashes. So far, so good!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's a SanDisk USB 3.0 16GB thumb drive that I bought specifically for this purpose! The same PC wrote the files to it - maybe the basic drivers on Windows installer weren't fully compatible with it?

It's done all the updates and is currently playing YouTube videos of ducks to see if it crashes. So far, so good!
It's the result that counts! Fingers crossed. :)

FunkyMuky

OK, so I'm still getting random BSOD's and sometimes it seems to be crashing even when it's not being used, including a Hardware error at 9.21 this morning. Any ideas?

1596645395861.png

FunkyMuky

Drivers were just from Windows Update, with the exception of the one for my Logitech wheel which I had to download the installer from the Logitech website and run manually.

1596645830533.png