PC restarts/locks up

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Good morning :)

I uninstalled Bullguard when I originally got the PC, when they sent it back to me after the RMA it was a fresh Windows re-install and it was back on again, I just hadn't got around to uninstalling again, it was on the to-do list but as it was happening previously without it, I'm presuming it isn't related.

I have a Logitech keyboard, I just installed the 'Gaming Software' program to customise the G keys I have on the keyboard as I use them frequently. I haven't installed any other drivers/software from Logitech and/or the keyboard. I don't know if there is a more 'lightweight' software Logitech do that means I can customise the G keys?
Fair enough. There has been no indication of a Logitech driver problem on your system, it's just that I'm very wary of Logitech software. :)

Sassy

A quick update!

I've just got off the phone from PCS, a very lovely gentleman went over your post and is in agreement with you that it is indeed the GPU that appears to be causing the issue.
I have utterly lucked out and there is another one in stock so a new 3070 will be arriving tomorrow and I'll be giving the courier the broken one in a swap.

Again, I cannot thank you guys enough for all of your help on my thread, hopefully, the new GPU will be the end of the woes and I can fully enjoy my new PC at last!

I'd also like to say for anyone reading this thread with similar issues or otherwise, PCS has been exceptional in the service and speed they have been dealing with this.
On the original RMA, the courier collected the PC on Monday, it was back to me on Friday. Although it, unfortunately, didn't fix the issue I cannot fault the speed of the turnaround and the service from the staff on the phone lines.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A quick update!

I've just got off the phone from PCS, a very lovely gentleman went over your post and is in agreement with you that it is indeed the GPU that appears to be causing the issue.
I have utterly lucked out and there is another one in stock so a new 3070 will be arriving tomorrow and I'll be giving the courier the broken one in a swap.

Again, I cannot thank you guys enough for all of your help on my thread, hopefully, the new GPU will be the end of the woes and I can fully enjoy my new PC at last!

I'd also like to say for anyone reading this thread with similar issues or otherwise, PCS has been exceptional in the service and speed they have been dealing with this.
On the original RMA, the courier collected the PC on Monday, it was back to me on Friday. Although it, unfortunately, didn't fix the issue I cannot fault the speed of the turnaround and the service from the staff on the phone lines.
Oh that's good news!

Here's hoping it's not the motherboard then......:eek:

Sassy

One thing I have just noticed, it seems my RAM has been turned down to 3200mhz rather than the 3600mhz the specs say when I bought it - would there be a reason for this, and is it something I'd notice in PC performance?
I'm a little worried I've paid for 3600mhz RAM but I'm not getting it?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
One thing I have just noticed, it seems my RAM has been turned down to 3200mhz rather than the 3600mhz the specs say when I bought it - would there be a reason for this, and is it something I'd notice in PC performance?
I'm a little worried I've paid for 3600mhz RAM but I'm not getting it?
There are known stability issues at 3600MHz on many AMD systems. @SpyderTracks can tell you how much difference that will make.

D

Deleted member 17413

In some of the threads about it, one user looked at slowly increasing the MHz up in increments in the BIOS and then testing to see if its stable.
If its 3600MHZ, you should be able to do this without "over" clocking it past what its been tested for already. I think it was 3533MHz (or similar) that it could be set to without having the 3600MHz/4 stick problems.

I would check that though!

D

Deleted member 17413

It’s worth playing in the BIOS with the DOCP. If it is 3600MHz RAM installed then you should be fine trying it at 3600MHz, if you get any stability issues, dial it down to 3533MHz.
LOL

DOH!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
WELP!

it just crashed again with the new 3070 in it, the same thing on the monitors when it crashes

Files:

Event Viewer - System - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnhBCpCaX2QVl7Slty
Event Viewer - Applications - https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnhBEDButXkEq0ijrr?e=PQfowv

My MEMORY.DMP file hasn't been modified since 22/03/2021 so I presume it won't have changed since the last post?

I must admit I'm at my wits end now, this pc hasn't worked properly since day 1 :(
Bummer. My bet is its the motherboard then. It's certainly a hardware issue.

Unfortunately I think a full RMA is required now. :(

Sassy

Another update!

The PC was picked up on March 26th for it's second RMA.
I've just had this email

1618392560051.png

I....could......scream. It is NOT a Windows error.
The RMA had this thread linked, an image of the stuff on my monitors when it crashes...Windows has been cleanly re-installed twice (one by me, the other on the previous RMA). The logs are CLEARLY stating it's hardware.
And why on Earth has it taken 3 weeks just to re-install Windows when it was on a priority RMA?!

I just don't know what to do anymore

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Another update!

The PC was picked up on March 26th for it's second RMA.
I've just had this email

View attachment 24922

I....could......scream. It is NOT a Windows error.
The RMA had this thread linked, an image of the stuff on my monitors when it crashes...Windows has been cleanly re-installed twice (one by me, the other on the previous RMA). The logs are CLEARLY stating it's hardware.
And why on Earth has it taken 3 weeks just to re-install Windows when it was on a priority RMA?!

I just don't know what to do anymore
I would phone them NOW and ask to talk to the RMA manager.

Sassy

I did call, he said he can't guarantee the PC won't get sent back to me as it may already be booked for pick up today but he has left notes on the RMA that I am not happy with the diagnosis.

If it is sent out again I am just going to refuse delivery

Sassy

Ok, I actually cried this time :(

It came back to me with a new motherboard....it's just blue screened again.

The stop code was WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnl1V89CBVDhwaWUzy?e=FCCoqr - MEMORY.DMP

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnl1dMwgZ-mMWMnE9N?e=j0Ckaq - Application Event Log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnl1aZeMYCwYZTNW8Y?e=TZ54ME - System Event Log

I'll be on the phone with them in the morning, in the meantime, I was wondering if the files shed any more light on it so I can tell them when I call.

As always I really appreciate any help and information

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok, I actually cried this time :(

It came back to me with a new motherboard....it's just blue screened again.

The stop code was WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnl1V89CBVDhwaWUzy?e=FCCoqr - MEMORY.DMP

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnl1dMwgZ-mMWMnE9N?e=j0Ckaq - Application Event Log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai7-9eythfRnl1aZeMYCwYZTNW8Y?e=TZ54ME - System Event Log

I'll be on the phone with them in the morning, in the meantime, I was wondering if the files shed any more light on it so I can tell them when I call.

As always I really appreciate any help and information
I'm downloading the dump etc. files now and I'll get on it straight away. A WHEA stop code isn't encouraging though.... :(

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
(OP - don't be distracted by my question here as it is based on no knowledge or understanding and is nothing more than a complete and utter shot in the dark)

@ubuysa - while I was waiting for your replies to my issues - I was searching around for symptoms of undervolts and hardware errors generally. One thing that came up every now and again was the possibility of a PSU supply problem.

Is there any way that a PSU power supply glitch could be involved here? Or even a dodgy surge protector that isn't giving the PSU a clean supply?

Total shot in the dark here and just trying to give some curveballs seeing how long the OP's issues have been recurring....and trying to think of something that might not have been obvious on the PCS test bench really....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've now looked at the kernel dump, it is a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR stop code with an exception code of Machine_Check, which means a fatal hardware error has occurred.

The process in control was Phasmophobia.exe and the stack trace for the active thread shows an immediate machine check as soon as the kernel is entered. The error reported is a BUSL1_SRC_IRD_I_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 12 Bank 1) and I've seen these several times before on AMD systems, a common cause is bad, wrong, or missing AMD chipset drivers.

That this may be simply a chipset driver issue is supported by the failing driver, it's AuthenticAMD.sys which is an AMD chipset driver.

There is also a failure of nvlddmkm.sys (the Nvidia graphics driver)...
Code:
fffff60f`f8520f78  fffff806`4c24ba33Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_7d91b2ed40558a26\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
nvlddmkm+0xaba33

...but I've seen this driver tripped up in previous dumps by missing AMD chipset drivers.

I would suggest that you use the AMD Driver & Support Tool to ensure your chipset drivers are up to date. If that installs updated drivers then see how things go after that. If it says all your drivers are up to date I would get back to PCS and point them firmly at this dump.

LATER EDIT: Since we know that stuff moves in transit and since this is a hardware error, it will be worth your time popping cards (and RAM) out and ensuring they're all firmly seated. Check all connectors and connections as well.

Last edited: