PC Settings Issue

stephanie

Hi
I am looking for some help.
4 years ago I bought 2 Dell PCs for my business. One was a laptop and the desktop was an Inspiron 570 AMD Athlon 7.
The desktop was mainly just as a backup with some offline printout work.
My lap top has now died; the desktop has become my new main PC and has problems.
I can’t access certain websites such as online control panels, log in sections to accounts etc.
I can’t access Pay Pal or my merchant account Barclays, Face book, twitter but can access Google+ and LinkedIn.
I can’t also access other sites like Hotmail, 123 reg or Easy space. All I can access is my web based email off the Internetters website and as soon as I try to log into the control panel there the page can’t be found appears.
I can access some sites that don’t require any security on them such as Google homepage and general surfing to sites like this one.
Also I notice where there are clickable images and logos such as the Pay Pal logos; the image is missing and replaced with a red X in an empty box.
This lot sounds like security settings stopping me going to anything secure?
This PC has never seen any more than 2 hours online activity and I have never been to any questionable sites or really downloaded anything, so I don’t think it is infected but I am only guessing as I only know the basics.
I have Norton installed and always updated this every 3 months or so.
One other issue I noticed about 2 years ago was I was unable to install any window updates, as each time I tried I got a try later message, as the download was unsuccessful at this time.
Since discovering the above issues yesterday, I explored the troubleshooting manuals and managed to download all outstanding Windows updates except the 7 service pack. It would not install and I made several attempts so every time I logged off and on again the standard blue screen appeared saying ‘installing updates do not power off’ and it stayed like that for over an hour and would not go any further so I had to crash it to get back on, I had to do this several times. Since then I have had to use system restore to return back before this issue and now 6 of the updates are uninstalled, but the blue screen that previously appeared saying installing updates when logging on and off has now gone and I am now back to the 1st problem.
My main concern now is gaining access to certain websites so I can get my account settings and reinstall them onto another PC.
I have followed some forum instructions and advice off other posts and tried certain settings such as tools, options and cleared things, checked for blocked website lists, all is clear and I do not have any parental controls set up.
Any advice would be appreciated on how I can access these sites that would be all I need to get at my control settings and my merchant account.
My webpage window at the bottom is also showing a tiny eye logo image with a red round circle and relates to privacy?
Thanks a lot
Stephanie

steaky360

You could try using a different browser? I assume you've been using windows explorer? You could try Chrome or Firefox if you can download them. Might be a quick fix for now.

stephanie

Hi Yes, I have w exp.

I would like to try this if I can before I get into anything else. Is there any way I can correct this with w explorer, suely this should be fixable?
Thanks for any advice

steaky360

Hi Yes, I have w exp.

I would like to try this if I can before I get into anything else. Is there any way I can correct this with w explorer, suely this should be fixable?
Thanks for any advice

You can check your security settings, if they look ok you could try to reinstall windows explorer to see if that solves the problem.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Since your main concern now is "...gaining access to certain websites so I can get my account settings and reinstall them onto another PC", I would suggest disabling all of Norton's features. Better yet I'd suggest a complete uninstall of Norton using the tool from https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us. I realise that will leave you somewhat exposed but as long as you are careful which websites you visit and what you click on whilst online not having a security system running should not be a big issue for you. I'm suggesting this because much of what you are experiencing could be down to an overly aggressive security system, Norton in particular has a reputation for causing problems if not managed wisely.

I would also suggest trying a different browser as Steaky360 suggested.

stephanie

Thanks for all your replies. That is now sorted. Everything was outdated and I have reinstalled and updated. Thanks.

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
When you say you can't access them, what is coming up when you try to?

If websites are your main concern, try adjusting your firewall / level of security and as the other guys said disabling or removing your antivirus software to see if that makes any difference.

Ensure your Java / Flash settings are all up to date and when you first click on a website, check for disabled pop-ups that may need to be allowed for access.