Pc shows less ram speed than ordered (4800 vs 6000 32gb DDR5)

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
Pc Arrived recently and been getting it updated etc.

All running great.

However in windows (task manager and motherboard / cpu bundles monitoring software) it shows ram speed as 4800mhz, where I specc'd 6000mhz.

I presume this is a software "switch" somewhere, But how can I do this?

Ram is corsair vengeance 32gb, and mobo is the Asus x670e.

Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Pc Arrived recently and been getting it updated etc.

All running great.

However in windows (task manager and motherboard / cpu bundles monitoring software) it shows ram speed as 4800mhz, where I specc'd 6000mhz.

I presume this is a software "switch" somewhere, But how can I do this?

Ram is corsair vengeance 32gb, and mobo is the Asus x670e.

Thanks.
Hiya, can you post your full specs from the order page on your account?

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
Hiya, can you post your full specs from the order page on your account?
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16 Core CPU (4.5GHz-5.7GHz/80MB CACHE/AM5)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (WIFI 6E, DDR5, PCIe 5.0)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive2TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO M.2, PCIe 4.0 NVMe (up to 7450MB/R, 6900MB/W)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16 Core CPU (4.5GHz-5.7GHz/80MB CACHE/AM5)
1st M.2 SSD Drive2TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO M.2, PCIe 4.0 NVMe (up to 7450MB/R, 6900MB/W)
Need the full thing mate

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16 Core CPU (4.5GHz-5.7GHz/80MB CACHE/AM5)
1st Storage Drive4TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor CoolingCORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT RGB CPU Cooler
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network CardONBOARD 2.5Gbe LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardNOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
I presume its a simple "switch" somewhere, but where (bios?).

I haven't really touched bios before, and certainly not in recent generations of stuff, so wouldn't know where to look.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I presume its a simple "switch" somewhere, but where (bios?).

I haven't really touched bios before, and certainly not in recent generations of stuff, so wouldn't know where to look.
It's in the BIOS

They may have disabled it due to the issues with RAM overclockong on early BIOSes. Make sure your BIOS version is a recent one, if not be worth phoning pcs to get their permission to update is before applying EXPO

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you press Del or F2 during boot up, this will take you into the BIOS. Don't change anything, just post up which BIOS revision you have and we can advise from there :)

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
It's in the BIOS

They may have disabled it due to the issues with RAM overclockong on early BIOSes. Make sure your BIOS version is a recent one, if not be worth phoning pcs to get their permission to update is before applying EXPO
Thanks.

So "expo" is the setting I'm looking for? And is it simply case of changing it from 4800 to 6000?

It has a new version on it, as it came. I think its late last month or early this month (had pc a week today).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks.

So "expo" is the setting I'm looking for? And is it simply case of changing it from 4800 to 6000?

It has a new version on it, as it came. I think its late last month or early this month (had pc a week today).

There's been a lot of changes to the BIOS revisions over the past few weeks. The latest revision wasn't being installed by PCS last week, as far as I'm aware. It's only been this week I've heard of users getting permission.

Like I said, check where you're at first and then we can advise. Don't turn on EXPO.

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
There's been a lot of changes to the BIOS revisions over the past few weeks. The latest revision wasn't being installed by PCS last week, as far as I'm aware. It's only been this week I've heard of users getting permission.

Like I said, check where you're at first and then we can advise. Don't turn on EXPO.
Pcs email advisor, has given instructions how to update bios (and even attached the zip file).

Very easy, especially on my board (was done with pc off and through a bios labelled port).

Which I have now done.
It is version 1415, the latest, and is only around 2w old.

So given I'm now as upto date as possible, what's the next step to get my ram upto the 6000mhz.

Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

skylineboy2002

Bronze Level Poster
I believe Scott meant don't turn on the EXPO until you are on an up-to-date BIOS. It was just to be sure you were on the most recent, which you now are. I have the same MOBO and, once I get permission to flash 1415 I'll be turning EXPO back on

Bios updated fine, and EXPO turned on, all good :)
i just need to figure out how to turn off the mobo RGB panel, when powered off (its constant on, even when shutdown)
one thing i have wondered on the physical build, is what is this "loose" in the case (red and black wires, see attached)

Attachments

• 20230527_165643.jpg
    20230527_165643.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 103

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
i just need to figure out how to turn off the mobo RGB panel, when powered off (its constant on, even when shutdown)
one thing i have wondered on the physical build, is what is this "loose" in the case (red and black wires, see attached)
That's the PC speaker, it gives the basic post beeps. You need it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Technically you don't need it (I broke mine) but you do want it!
You can buy them really easily on Amazon for a couple of quid so they’re easy enough to replace should you need to.

You’re right, you don’t need one, I haven’t used them since about 2006, but they do make troubleshooting a lot easier

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

For the lights you go into the BIOS and then just set the AURA option (I think it's F4 from the simple menu but I can't remember, you'll see it). When in sleep/standby set it to off :)