PC shutting down during gaming after new monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gamer guy

Does the motherboard have another slot in which you could try the graphics card? The testing you did earlier without a dGPU showed the problem went away, so it has to be either the card (which you've replaced), the slot in which it's fitted, or some other motherboard issue.
I just attempted putting synthetic load on my GPU. So the last time I did that on my old GPU(970) the temps would hover around 70-78 degrees but it would not power out. It would only power out under gaming. As you know from above with the new GPU(5700xt) I am not able to game because it experiences a power cut too. However, what is interesting is that under synthetic load with the new GPU it also experiences a power cut. This is new.
I will perform tests on another pci-e slot later today.

1585741754374.png

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Did you check the CPU temps during these trials? Hard shut off is normally CPU related rather than GPU. A GPU over-temp would normally just crash to windows.

Didn't notice this thread before or I would have suggested focusing more on the CPU side of things. The GPU being out would even support this as the CPU isn't under anywhere near as much load with the on-board gfx.

the gamer guy

Did you check the CPU temps during these trials? Hard shut off is normally CPU related rather than GPU. A GPU over-temp would normally just crash to windows.

Didn't notice this thread before or I would have suggested focusing more on the CPU side of things. The GPU being out would even support this as the CPU isn't under anywhere near as much load with the onboard gfx.
During gaming and stress tests the CPU barely gets past 50 Celcius before the power cuts out and it reboots by itself. In fact in my most recent synthetic load test the CPU was sitting at 29-35C whilst GPU was around 50-55C, the power cut out in that test too and the test only ran for 14 seconds.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
During gaming and stress tests the CPU barely gets past 50 Celcius before the power cuts out and it reboots by itself. In fact in my most recent synthetic load test the CPU was sitting at 29-35C whilst GPU was around 50-55C, the power cut out in that test too and the test only ran for 14 seconds.

Sounds like the PSU to me then. It may still be covered under the Corsair Warranty.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ahh, it was the TXm I was thinking of. PSU would be my most likely place to start.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Is there anyway to run a test that pin points the PSU as the fault. I have already bought a gpu that wasnt needed because of non specific tests.

At home.... without a second PSU... no.

Most PC fault finding is done in stores due to having access to test equipment..... most test equipment in PC fault finding are simply known good spares.

You could do a RAM test just to rule that out. Memtest overnight would rule that out.
To rule out the CPU, you could run prime 95 SmallFFT torture test... just monitor temps and stop if you get over 95°C. People talk about doing this overnight but I'm often satisfied after half an hour.
For the motherboard.... there's no testing that can be done.

Physical checks include re-seating all the plugs and the RAM. Ensure that the 4/6/8pin CPU power is connected to the motherboard.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Didn't notice this thread before or I would have suggested focusing more on the CPU side of things. The GPU being out would even support this as the CPU isn't under anywhere near as much load with the on-board gfx.
A very useful lesson learned. Apologies to the OP.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
A very useful lesson learned. Apologies to the OP.

To be fair, with this sort of issue it's all a stab in the dark. Next is probably a PSU..... potentially for no reason.

To the op: You could send it into PCS for them to diagnose and quote for you..... rather than ending up with triggers brush. Unfortunately, self diagnosis is difficult for this sort of error without access to hardware.

the gamer guy

To be fair, with this sort of issue it's all a stab in the dark. Next is probably a PSU..... potentially for no reason.

To the op: You could send it into PCS for them to diagnose and quote for you..... rather than ending up with triggers brush. Unfortunately, self diagnosis is difficult for this sort of error without access to hardware.
I would like to have that done but my PCS warranty has expired 2 months ago.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would like to have that done but my PCS warranty has expired 2 months ago.

I'm sure you could still have them look at it regardless. May cost you, but you could call and ask the question. They offer lifetime support :)

The PSU would be the next one to replace, but it is still guess work.

You could test the outputs with a multimeter

My guess is they would all read fine until under load unfortunately. Something is tripping at some point when on load at a guess. It's actually a sign of a good PSU as even when failing it's attempting to save the rig.

the gamer guy

The power supply has arrived today. Been fitted and stress tested with no problems. Underwent heavy gaming on ultra settings for hours with no problems. I think I can conclude that the issue has been resolved thanks to you guys. I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.