Pc switching off (after an hour gaming period.)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you for your understanding, I have edited the comment above the comment I'm replying to with an image displaying temperatures. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Also, do you have a recommended cloud service? I did try dropbox but it seems to be difficult without recipients emails etc.
You don't need a recipient email. Just upload to Dropbox (or whatever) and then copy the link to that uiaded file. Post that link here.

But please don't do it unless you're comfortable.

Ellie_Tay

I'll check out how to do that a bit later, in the mean time any further suggestions or ideas of what could be the issue would be appreciated, just so I can do some more troubleshooting later

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In your OP you said the problem is with seemingly random system power offs. Does it just power off and stay off or does it power off and restart?

If it powers off and restarts the problem could well be due to software, most likely a bad driver. A clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media, deleting all existing UEFI partitions should clear a software issue. A power off and restart could also be a hardware problem, if it continues after a fully clean reinstall of Windows then it's likely hardware.

If it just powers off and stays off then that's almost certainly a hardware problem. My uneducated guess would be a PSU issue, but it could be anything. I would suggest that in this case you need to arrange to RMA it.

If you do decide to RMA it then you need to find a way to make it fail to order. Experiment with different loads and a different mix of apps to see whether there is a procedure that makes it fail. You'll need to tell PCS how to make it fail if you have to RMA it. There is no point just telling them it fails randomly, they don't have the time to sit and watch it in the hope that it fails - and if they don't see it fail they can't fix it.

B Poot

Bronze Level Poster
Any further ideas anyone? Sorta stuck >.<
Hi Ellie, further to what I suggested yesterday, and what Ubuysa was suggesting (about it potentially being related to software), a clean windows install would help, making sure to get the updates and drivers afterwards. If this is not something that you are familiar with doing, this video might help:

Ellie_Tay

In your OP you said the problem is with seemingly random system power offs. Does it just power off and stay off or does it power off and restart?

If it powers off and restarts the problem could well be due to software, most likely a bad driver. A clean reinstall of Windows from bootable media, deleting all existing UEFI partitions should clear a software issue. A power off and restart could also be a hardware problem, if it continues after a fully clean reinstall of Windows then it's likely hardware.

If it just powers off and stays off then that's almost certainly a hardware problem. My uneducated guess would be a PSU issue, but it could be anything. I would suggest that in this case you need to arrange to RMA it.

If you do decide to RMA it then you need to find a way to make it fail to order. Experiment with different loads and a different mix of apps to see whether there is a procedure that makes it fail. You'll need to tell PCS how to make it fail if you have to RMA it. There is no point just telling them it fails randomly, they don't have the time to sit and watch it in the hope that it fails - and if they don't see it fail they can't fix it.
Sounds silly but you tried a diffrent power cord ? Also if it plugged into a surge protector a diffrent surge protector
Hi Ellie, further to what I suggested yesterday, and what Ubuysa was suggesting (about it potentially being related to software), a clean windows install would help, making sure to get the updates and drivers afterwards. If this is not something that you are familiar with doing, this video might help:

Hello everyone, thank you all for your suggestions and input.

I have now tested the system with a spare, untouched 4GB RAM card and with a clean install of windows 10.
This followed by reinstalling the drivers and restarting the machine.
In regard to the question of power cable and PSU, I have replaced them with a new PSU.
The socket has been changed also.

The results were very much the same. Play a game for 20 minutes or so, system turned off and attempted reboot. During reboot attempts it powers off again and attempts to boot again. This happens around three times before I manually switch off the machine.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I have now tested the system with a spare, untouched 4GB RAM card and with a clean install of windows 10.
In regard to the question of power cable and PSU, I have replaced them with a new PSU.

The results were very much the same. Play a game for 20 minutes or so, system turned off and attempted reboot. During reboot attempts it powers off again and attempts to boot again. This happens around three times before I manually switch off the machine.
When you changed the PSU did you replace all the PSU cables along with it?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

From where did you get the drivers?

Ellie_Tay

When you changed the PSU did you replace all the PSU cables along with it?
From where did you get the drivers?

I got my gpu drivers using the Nvidea experience app, I know it's not that because my replacement GPU hasn't worked either on different drivers.

I spent all day today replacing all of the power cables from the components/board to the PSU.

The result is the same

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I got my gpu drivers using the Nvidea experience app, I know it's not that because my replacement GPU hasn't worked either on different drivers.

I spent all day today replacing all of the power cables from the components/board to the PSU.

The result is the same
I would recommend reading through the link below, found someone else having the same issue as you, also whilst gaming and getting the exact same error :)

Ellie_Tay

I would recommend reading through the link below, found someone else having the same issue as you, also whilst gaming and getting the exact same error :)

Not to be rude, but shouldn't a full memory wipe and reinstall of windows confirm it's not the issue?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Not to be rude, but shouldn't a full memory wipe and reinstall of windows confirm it's not the issue?
As you've done a full Windows reinstall and it's still happening it really does sound like it's an issue with something you may have plugged in, maybe also connected via Bluetooth (unlikely but still possible).

I saw on Page 1 you removed your headset and reinstalled the driver that's crashing then tested it again, however, is there anything else you have plugged in/connected via Bluetooth apart from just keyboard and mouse?

Ellie_Tay

As you've done a full Windows reinstall and it's still happening it really does sound like it's an issue with something you may have plugged in, maybe also connected via Bluetooth (unlikely but still possible).

I saw on Page 1 you removed your headset and reinstalled the driver that's crashing then tested it again, however, is there anything else you have plugged in/connected via Bluetooth apart from just keyboard and mouse?

No, just those three things. Exception of course for monitor cable and aux cable for sound.
My headset is a kraken which, seeing the post, it does seem too much of a coincidence, but then I'd imagine with the removal of the driver and device it certainly shouldn't be an issue. It does not have bluetooth either.

I've added an attachment to this showing temperatures during a stress test over a long period. As I had no issues with it shutting down in this time, I will look into what you suggested regardless, it may still be an issue some way or another.

Thanks very much

Attachments

• Stress Test1.jpg
    Stress Test1.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 125

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

The result is the same
And from where did you get all the other drivers?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I take it the PCIe power is plugged into the new GPU?

It's beginning to sound like an issue with the motherboard or CPU to me. You've effectively exhausted everything else other than potential driver niggles.

I would try stress testing the GPU. Furmark or OCCT would do for this process.

Ellie_Tay

And from where did you get all the other drivers?
I take it the PCIe power is plugged into the new GPU?

It's beginning to sound like an issue with the motherboard or CPU to me. You've effectively exhausted everything else other than potential driver niggles.

I would try stress testing the GPU. Furmark or OCCT would do for this process.

I have disabled the hid compliant headset driver and my pc still has issues.

I have installed the GPU drivers, but left the other to windows.

PCIe power is indeed plugged in to the GPU

Furmark did not cause a system shut down, the same as the other test also did not cause a shut down. Both tests were done with the case put back together so it seems as though overheating isn't the issue.
I have added results of Furmark in an image attachment.

Attachments

• FM Test.jpg
    FM Test.jpg
    960.4 KB · Views: 123

B Poot

Bronze Level Poster
Have you had this switching off issue with these games ever since you have been playing them, or did you used to be able to play them for an extended time and it is only recently that it has started switching off after a while?

Ellie_Tay

Have you had this switching off issue with these games ever since you have been playing them, or did you used to be able to play them for an extended time and it is only recently that it has started switching off after a while?
I have had the same hardware and setup for just under a year, all the games and programs I am using when these problems started to occur have been the same for a long time.

Ellie_Tay

Just as an overall update to this situation - nothing I have thought of or been advised to do, has worked.

The problem - My PC randomly turns off and automatically attempts to reboot, sometimes failing up to three times (before I manually switch it off)

Here is a list of things that I have tried:

Software
Uninstalled HID compliant GPU
Disabled HID compliant GPU - (In response to critical failure in event viewer under system)
Wiped my M.2 storage and tried playing games with minimum software downloads + Input/Output devices (No headset software or device connection. This includes removal of all other storage devices)
Stress tested RAM, GPU, storage and CPU Components with AIDA64 & Furmark
Tested RAM with Memtest 86
Monitored temperatures during idle, gaming and stress tests. Temperatures did not turn off the machine nor cause issues.

Hardware
Cleaned my system of all dust
Replaced GPU
Replaced PSU (All power cables also changed and reconnected)
All front Panel connectors removed and reconnected to ensure proper connections
Removed RAM and tested with only one unused RAM card

With all of this in mind, I feel the only possibilities are a fault with the CPU or motherboard.
My only option now seems to be an RMA, which is very difficult given the nature of the seemingly random shut downs I'm experiencing.

Thanks for all your advice and feedback so far, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this summary

B Poot

Bronze Level Poster
You've certainly done all the logical steps for different types of faults. I'm impressed with how you have stuck at this to try to fix it yourself.

My last question was just trying to understand if the current combination of hardware and programmes has ever worked without fault, or if ever since you have had this hardware set up and used these games there have been problems - even if the games worked on previous hardware configurations?

The reason being that it seems odd that the stress tests of the hardware didn't cause it fail but specific games did. Also, I know some of the earlier AMD components didn't like certain games and could cause crashes. I believe that these issues got fixed in BIOS updates, but I don't know enough about BIOS to advise what to do (and BIOS is best left alone if you don't know what you're doing!).

Also, I know that some overclocking can seemingly work on most applications, but can be unstable for particular scenarios, e.g. specific games. This can - in extreme - cause shutdowns. I believe that most overclocking is done in BIOS settings, so again, I'll leave advice around that to someone else. Even if you haven't done overclocking yourself, it might be that it was set up that way. E.g. RAM is set to 2133 MHz by default and anything over this is considered overclocking, so if you bought RAM at 3000 MHz and PCS set it to run at that speed so that you get what you paid for, it would be within its design limits but it would still be considered overclocking.