PC UPGRADE.. What should I do?

nadeemh93

Hello people,

I hope all is well.

I purchased a PC a few years ago now and these are the specs:

PC Specs:

Case: NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)

Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard: ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!

Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

1st Storage Drive: 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5” HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE

1st M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

Power Supply: CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking: WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

USB/Thunderbolt Options: MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

I mainly use it for video editing and 3D modelling / rendering. I don’t know too much about the technicalities of computers fyi.

What new components would you guys suggest to help me speed things up?

Thank you!

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Depends a little on the balance of what you're trying to do, whether you're more CPU or GPU limited. For 1K you could get a 5950X, a 4070 and a 512GB Solidigm P44 Pro to act as your boot drive. That comes to £954.52 by my reckoning. If you need more RAM (do you?), an extra 32GB would be about £70 more. These would all be very reasonable upgrades, and you could get some of it back if you can sell the CPU and graphics card on second hand...

nadeemh93

Depends a little on the balance of what you're trying to do, whether you're more CPU or GPU limited. For 1K you could get a 5950X, a 4070 and a 512GB Solidigm P44 Pro to act as your boot drive. That comes to £954.52 by my reckoning. If you need more RAM (do you?), an extra 32GB would be about £70 more. These would all be very reasonable upgrades, and you could get some of it back if you can sell the CPU and graphics card on second hand...
Thanks for the reply and the feedback. This definitely sounds like a good plan and I’m thinking of going for it. Is it easy to make these changes and to carry all my data/ windows across when I add in the new components? Also would I need a new power supply or cooler, or anything else? Sorry I’m really new to this.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the reply and the feedback. This definitely sounds like a good plan and I’m thinking of going for it. Is it easy to make these changes and to carry all my data/ windows across when I add in the new components? Also would I need a new power supply or cooler, or anything else? Sorry I’m really new to this.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Your cooler will be fine, as will the power supply. The CPU will probably need you to update the BIOS on your motherboard. PCS should help you do that if you upgrade through them. The graphics card is just a simple replacement, though you might need to run an extra power cable from the PSU (though I doubt it: the 4070 isn't demanding). The trickiest thing may be the M.2 drive. While the graphics card is removed, you can install it; you may need to use the motherboard manual to identify the slot to put it in. Then you will need to install Windows to it (this is very simple); then reinstall applications and copy any data over from the existing drive. Overall it's probably a couple of hours' work.

If you have RAM to install, that's the simplest of the lot.

Also, make sure you have some thermal paste, as you'll need that when mounting the cooler to the new CPU.