PC Upgrade

londondan

Bronze Level Poster
I didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask a single question. Anyway I'm planning on upgrading in the near future, I've already pretty much got an extra 8GB of RAM on the way to make my PC have 16gb of RAM, the next thing I've thinking of upgrading is my 960 to a 1060. Going by my specs, would I have to make any other changes? Perhaps CPU wise? I do know the power requirements and size are almost identical to the 960 so my case should be big enough.

Case PCS DOMINATOR 6806B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4460 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® H81M-PLUS: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Change to: 8GB HyperX FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card NONE
1st Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk NONE
1st PCI-E SSD Drive NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 150Mbps PCI-E CARD
Wireless Router/HomePlugs/Range Extenders NONE
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Firewire NONE
TV Card NONE
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Windows 10 Upgrade FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
DVD Recovery Media NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser Google Chrome™
Monitor NONE
2nd Monitor NONE
3rd Monitor NONE
4th Monitor NONE
Monitor Cables NONE
Eyefinity Adapter / GeForce 3D Vision NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Cable Tidy NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Rakk

The Awesome
I didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask a single question.

Well I've moved your post to its own thread anyway, its always better to start your own thread rather than tag onto the end of someones elses - as it often hijacks the thread.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
A GTX 1060 6gb would be a very decent upgrade over a GTX 960. Your CPU and PSU are fine for a GPU like that. I'd say go ahead.

londondan

Bronze Level Poster
Ooh didn't even see it get moved haha! But thank you for the answer Oussebon. I was expecting to have to change parts but this is good news, especially for the future, my 960 is just over a year old now so I think a few more months out of it and then upgrade. RAM I can fit myself, but I'm unsure about a GPU fit..still a noob at the DIY upgrade stuff, probably will be best to get PCS to do it once the time comes.

londondan

Bronze Level Poster
Bit of an update, having watched video's and tutorials I've decided that once my 1060 arrives I'd rather fit it myself. A lot of the youtube videos I've watched say you have to remove at least 2 of the rear metal clips on the case in order to have space for the various video ports on the card, however since I'm replacing a 960 I'm guessing PCS would have done that when fitting the card and since the cards are very similar I won't have to do this and it will be a straight swap, one card out and the other in?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
and it will be a straight swap, one card out and the other in?
Yep. Probably anyway.

I can't see your case obviously, but the 2 PCI-E brackets at the back will have been removed or else the HDMI/DVI etc ports for your GTX 960 wouldn't be sticking out the back of the PC for you to plug your monitor into. :)

In terms of plugging in the power, I don't know if your GTX 960 and GTX 1060 are 6 pin or 8 pin (6+2), but I'd imagine they're both 6-pin so it'd be exactly the same.
pcie6+2.jpg
(6 pin on the left, 6+2 or 8 pin on the right).

londondan

Bronze Level Poster
I can't see your case obviously, but the 2 PCI-E brackets at the back will have been removed or else the HDMI/DVI etc ports for your GTX 960 wouldn't be sticking out the back of the PC for you to plug your monitor into. :)

Yep, that's what I thought. The videos were using cases without a card in them so that's cleared up the confusion regarding the brackets, in terms of power both cards are 6 pin so all simple really. Thanks for the help. :)