PC Won't Boot!

JonB89

When I received my PC it arrived without a kettle lead (I had ordered one), then of the leads was catching one of the fans, then the CPU fan was running too fast, THEN the CD-ROM drive wouldn't open and had to be replaced!
I got all of this fixed, the PC started to work completely fine. I installed various programs & games etc on it so it was finally ready for use as an editing/gaming PC.

However now it won't even boot! I googled the issue and it may be a problem with Windows 8 itself, so it was recommended I try a fresh install of windows, whilst trying this it still freezes on boot / when loading the Windows CD I got with my order.

Also after a few attempts at booting, I would hold down the power button to turn it off, then turn the switch at the back of the PC off and then off at the wall socket plug.
Sometimes then when I came to power it all back on, once it the wall socket plug was on, and I then turned it on at the back of the PC, it wouldn't actually receive power (e.g nothing lights up inside the case / won't power on)

So I may have two problems, one with the power and one when booting?! (I've tested the wall socket, that Isn't the issue. Also if I leave the PC unplugged for a few hours and try again, it does power up but then still doesn't boot)

This is my PC Specs and some screenshots...

Case: NZXT PHANTOM 410 WHITE GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® MAXIMUS VI HERO: PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0
Memory (RAM): 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk: 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk: 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking: 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options: MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable: 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System: Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media: Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Warranty: 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

IMG_2867.jpg IMG_2869.JPG IMG_2870.jpg IMG_2866.JPG

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Tricky one, sounds like a hardware problem.

have you tried re seating both ends of the cables for the HDD (both SATA and power?)

Re seat the ram could be worth a shot since its so easy.

Other than that its a return to PCS job im afraid.

JonB89

Hi thanks for your reply, I tried your suggestions last Thursday, disconnected and reconnected anything I could inside the PC and whether it was pure luck or due to that - the PC booted up fine, as if nothing had ever happened.

I've used it quite alot over past few days without any faults. Then this morning, after I'd powered it off, I turned it off by the switch on the back of the PC as well (but left the plug at the wall socket still switched on)

Now this evening when I've come home and switched it on at the back again, it doesn't give any power to the PC for me to boot up.

...From this I can only assume its a fault with the power unit inside or maybe the switch connection?! Can anyone suggest any tests/fixes please as I'd really like to avoid sending the full PC back!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Just looking over your spec in the first post I noticed you had a modular power supply. have you re seated those cables too, it could be an issue with one of those. However if you have already re seated them I doubt it would be that.

If you are just flat out getting now power to the system when you go to boot up, I'd point the finger at the PSU. PCS will send you out a new one if they believe it to be faulty, the only issue with that is that you would need to fit it yourself. it's not really difficult but making sure you get everything plugged back in and cable management can be a bit tricky.

I think you will need to call up PCS explain the situation and let them go through whatever troubleshooting they need to. They may want the system back for further testes ( could be the motherboard, power supply, power button etc)