Pc wont start up

adator

Enthusiast
I was trying to download a game on steam and it kept stopping the download and steam crashed a couple times so I thought I would try a restart but the PC just froze at shutting down for a while so I had to manually turn it off, Now I am trying to turn it back on and it just stays at starting windows. I have tried the launch repair and it just loads for ever and doesn't do anything. I am at a bit of a loss as what to do now. I will try in safe mode if this repair doesn't work, any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

adator

Enthusiast
Ok the launch repair has just taken me to the standard wallpaper with not icons to do anything.

adator

Enthusiast
Safe mode has loaded but just a black screen with safe mode in all 4 corners and Microsoft ect in the top middle but I cant click anywhere or do anything. The worst thing is I think the warranty ran out a few days ago.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This sounds more like a software issue to me. It sounds like Windows has got itself fouled up when you switched it off, I suspect a reinstall may be the best way forward, but there are a couple of other things you can try...

Plug an external hard drive in and boot the Windows install DVD and select the Repair option. Open the command prompt and copy all of your user data out to the external HDD (unless of course you already have a good backup of your data).

Then select the startup repair option and see whether it can fix your boot problem.

If that doesn't work see whether you can do a system restore to an earlier restore point from the repair option of the Windows DVD.

If none of those work then you'll need to do a clean reinstall I think.

Edit: Given the problems you were having before you switched it off I'd be tempted to do a reinstall in any case. :)

adator

Enthusiast
Thanks Ubuysa I may try a reinstall, what would I loose if I did try that? I have done a system image in the past although probably a few months back now, would that have most of my stuff on it if I just reloaded that?

adator

Enthusiast
I have put the disk in and it has come up with click any key to boot from disk or along those lines and it came up with a loading screen but now its just a black screen, maybe I am just being impatient its been on it for a few minutes.

edit: Waited for over 10 minutes and still nothing happened.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have put the disk in and it has come up with click any key to boot from disk or along those lines and it came up with a loading screen but now its just a black screen, maybe I am just being impatient its been on it for a few minutes.

edit: Waited for over 10 minutes and still nothing happened.

That does not sound good. It should boot from the DVD almost immediately. I know it's out of warranty but I think you'd best call PCS tomorrow and get them to talk you through some troubleshooting. Sadly it doesn't sound like software anymore. Sorry....

adator

Enthusiast
Ok thanks again I will give it another try tomorrow and if not then give them a ring hopefully it wont be anything too expensive if it is the hardware. Very annoying that it has just happened out of warranty, well I think it is Ill have to double check with them tomorrow.

adator

Enthusiast
Seems to be the HDD that has failed, They talked me through a few things on the phone very helpful and with that unplugged it seems to work, So they are getting a new one sent out and taking the old one back, not sure what this means for the data that is on it though I guess it will be gone, Hopefully my system image I did a while ago will have most of that on it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well, I'm glad it's sorted but I rather think your data is gone. You can ask PCS if they can recover it for you but don't be surprised if they make a charge for that. It's been my general experience that if the disk still spins data can often be recovered.