PC wont turn on after bios issue

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

Hope this makes sense!

I was adding a SSD to a PC and when I switched it back on the SSD wasn't showing in windows Disk Management so I shut it down and checked if it was showing in the bios and it was so I exited that and when I started the PC up again it wouldn't load and went to a blue screen saying there was an error so I shut down and restarted another blue screen came on like this picture (found this on the web but roughly the same) -
Bios.jpg

so I clicked load optimal defaults and boot, it started up and another blue screen came on but this time it said something like - press ESC for UEFI firmware settings, I pressed ESC and the bios menu showed so I exited the bios, rebooted and it loaded into windows fine, I shut down and restarted and now I get nothing but a black screen, when I power on the PC the fans turn on and I can hear the DVD Drive turning on but then all I get is a ticking noise which I think is coming from the motherboard.

I unplugged the power and Sata cables from the SSD and the original HD and took out the GPU to see if the ticking noise was coming from them but it isn't, it sounds like its coming from the red eye logo on the Motherboard.

Here is a video I took of what it sounds like.

[video=youtube_share;BuKJEPa6xw8]https://youtu.be/BuKJEPa6xw8[/video]

Any ideas on what this is and how I can fix it??

Thanks

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4590 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, XFIRE/SLI
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy™ FX OEM

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
First off you need to know whether the problem was caused by the installation of the SSD or whether you have another problem altogether. I'd suggest you first put things back the way they were by removing the SSD and seeing whether you can get it to reliably boot. That might take a bit of messing about with the BIOS settings (especially if you use UEFI).

It would also be worth seeing whether you can get it to boot from a DVD, the Windows install DVD would be ideal.

The noise sounds mechanical to me which means it's either the HDD or the DVD drive (or possibly a relay in the PSU?).

I think you need to get it to boot without the SSD first, then prove that the SSD works (can you stick it in a caddy and mount it externally?) and after that it will be a boot order issue I would think.

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

I have removed the SSD to rule that out, I've also removed the Hard Drive, graphics card and dvd drive to see if the noise was coming from them but it isnt, I don't even get as far as bios loading up, just the fans starting and a ticking noise when I power the pc up.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Do you have any USB devices plugged in? It may just be POST failing on some external device, I've never seen that but I have heard of it....

My PCS PC failed to POST after I'd cleaned my keyboard (which included shaking it upside down) due presumably to a key stuck down by some trapped muck. Another shake fixed it.

POST checks the GPU (onboard or external) your RAM (check that it's seated properly) the presence of a keyboard and mouse (check for stuck keys) then checks the PCIe cards (check that all cards are all properly seated) then it checks USB devices (unplug all these).

I wouldn't fixate on the clicking noise, it's likely to be a symptom and not a cause I would think.

My best guess would be that you have disturbed something (RAM, PCIe card, connector, etc.) that is causing POST to fail.

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
I've tried all that and nothing, I removed the battery for 30 mins and put it back and after trying to turn it on and off a few more times with no luck just this clicking sound, on my last attempt the clicking stopped and I finally got this showing up -
IMG_5571.jpg

I clicked load optimal defaults and boot then this came up -
IMG_5572.jpg

Enter and F8 didn't do anything so I pressed ESC, it loaded into Bios and I couldn't see anything wrong (although I'm no expert and don't really know what to look for) and then exited it and windows loaded up and I was able to log back into the desktop, I shut it down and restarted it to see if it would start up normally but nope, its back to just this clicking noise.

I am still under warranty with PCS (for the labour part anyway) so might give them a call tomorrow.

But if anyone has any other ideas I'll give it a try!

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
it seems to be getting more stranger.

I managed to get it back up and running when I added the sound card back in, windows loaded and everything seemed fine but when I shut it down it doesn't load back up and starts clicking again, if I remove the sound card and restart then it loads back up fine but when I shut down and restart again it with the sound card out it doesn't load......

So for it to work I need to alternate having the sound card in and out for every other boot.

I have no idea on what's going on.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have you checked that everything is properly seated and that all connectors are fully home. It's quite likely you disturbed something during the SSD install.