PCS Hush with Core i3, how quiet is fan?

womble

Hi,

I'm interested in the PCS Hush! mini PC which seems to offer a good compromise between size, power and quietness.

The Atom and AMD E-350 options are totally silent but I think I need a bit more power and would therefore be interested in the Core i3 version.

The PCS website says it has "one low rpm fan". I know it's a bit subjective but can anyone advise me on HOW quiet the fan is?

(I just bought a supposedly quiet Dell Vostro 15" laptop only to find the fan was really annoying, coming on and off every couple of minutes quite loudly. I'm therefore doing a bit of research this time before I buy a replacement).

Thanks.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It's subjective so hard to say, however i know from one person who bought one of these systems,they were very happy with the noise of the system overall. Although i have never heard one of these systems in action so i can't be 100% sure.

Most of the time desktop's will be quieter than laptops because they have much more room to get rid of the heat through heatsinks rather than having to run a fan. With this system being designed to be quiet then it's probably going to be about the best you can get. Just make sure all your components are quiet, especially the HDD otherwise the fans will be the least of your concern.

For the HDD i would say a caviar green or a SSD. I have the higher performing caviar black, and it an get a little loud when you work it hard so i geuss that would put you off. The Caviar green is a nice drive, fairly fast, quiet and reliable.

womble

Thanks guys for your advice.

The PCS Hush has an Intel motherboard option which may help as the fan control in Bios is likely to be more intelligent than that on my Dell Vostro which as far as i can deduce from a bit of Googling is either fan off or full speed, with the switch on at 50 deg C and no other options in the Bios.

I guess I'll just have to take a chance and try the PCS Hush/Intel motherboard/Core i3.