PCS or Alienware M18x

keithbucknall

Hi all,

I know what you guys think of Dell but from a specification and cost point of view what are you thoughts on the below spec in the Dell Outlet for £1,700 VS a PCS spec:

Alienware M18x : Stealth Black
Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
320 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Display: 18.4in Widescreen Full High Definition (1920X1080) WLED LCD
Graphics: Dual 2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M SLI
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
Back Up Media Not Included
Wireless: Dell 375 Bluetooth Card
Wireless: Intel Advanced N-6200 (a/g/n 2x2)

Thanks

Keith

Corfate

Author Level
Well, on a PCS forum you're bound to get peopel saying PCS as the answer :p

Thing is with other comapnies is that you don't know exactly what brand products are going into them. Example above, you don't know what brand the HDD is, or the RAM. It could be naff quality to minimise costs, but lets them make a larger profit on the product.

Also, in cases where PCS are not cheaper, you get the excellent quality support, which is lifelong.

Im not going to say "Oh you have to buy PCS, as it's their forum", but you should consider the quality of their components over PCS's. (they may be great quality, bot how are we support to know?

Another thing, you won't get any spam on your PC when it arrives. What you order from PCS is what you get, if you don't want any trials, you won't get any, unlike my experience with Dell.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I'd go for the Alienware as they are much better quality and the customer service and after purchase care is much better than PCS and you be much more satisfi...

[Apologies, DED has fallen off his chair laughing so much and will return shortly]

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I'd go for the Alienware as they are much better quality and the customer service and after purchase care is much better than PCS and you be much more satisfi...

[Apologies, DED has fallen off his chair laughing so much and will return shortly]
lol

Xoil

PCS Laptop after support/warranty:

1.jpg

Dell Laptop after support/warranty:

dell-laptop-fire-1.jpg

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Sorry Wozza, please keep this on topic!

This is not the correct place to have a discussion about this either.

Last edited:

liquid

I have used dell at work for for around 12 years now. I work at a large company there are about 3000 of us on site and about half of us are pc/lap top users all using dell gear. I have had a 180 degree opion change over dell over the years and as a result have a personal dell laptop myself for home now, a vosto. Its truly faultless, rock solid, very fast and with an ssd totaly silent. Hardly ever hear of them going wrong at work. I think online reputations can very shewed, most people only ever complain on the net rather than celebrate and looking at dells market share its to be expected they will have a lot of comments. This can be demonstrated on this very site too where a poster asked the question is there a problem with pcs as all the posts seem to indicate an issue.

Honestly from a large sample perspective they are very good and the bussiness range latidue and vosto have pretty much zero clutter installed. Cant talk about the home versions like the xps as i have never used one.

I am a little like you in the alienware vs pcs. I do love the look of the clevos and really dislike the alienware look and I have found with some fancy footwork on the vouchers and cash back sites the price is about the same, sometimes less sometimes more but for sure not a deciding factor.

Personaly i will wait a while to see the new gpus and cpus along with the refresh of the clevos as I think that will tick all the boxes for me.

Tez77

Enthusiast
Go with pcs not had a laptop from dell but had a desktop its was a right pain wanted to change graphics card and it was wiered in to psu dell like to make there own parts so if anything goes wrong u have to go to them

TheKeir

Bright Spark
If you ignore the spec itself for a moment, you will see that Dell are much more expensive, for a start. The PCS customer support is second to none, and you get a lot more customization for PCS computers. PCS doesn't give you anything you don't want.