PCS Review - The Prologue

lost90

Hello! Thought I’d start reviewing my computer, I can only go so far as I haven’t used it yet. Pros, cons and all the bits in between.
image-12.jpeg

SPEC
Send in your own case: InWin Mana 136 White
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM450W
Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
FREE SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST GAME with GTX 660 & 7 Series GPUs!
3 Years Silver Warranty

Price: £817 + case £49

Dates
Processed: 03 aug
Pre-Production: 06 aug
Build/Test/QC: 08/12/12 aug
Dispatch: 13 aug
image-3.jpeg

I ordered my PC at the start of August with the assumption it would take 3-4 weeks to build. I’d been trawling the forums for a while reading and learning as much as I could to make an informed decision and had seen people in the pre-production time thread reporting 15+ working days. I was alright with this, no rush, as I had a room to decorate and furniture to buy. However my PC seemed to rush through its production and was done and had arrived just over a week and a half later. So sadly its been sitting in a box for over 3 weeks and is still not in use, so I’ll have to update this as I get it going and I’d like to take some pictures with the leds running ^^

Pros

*Build time! By god was that fast. I didn’t pay for any extra fast track services, so I was pleasantly surprised. Though it was a little confusing as to why other people with similar specs were sitting on 18 day pre-production times when mine spent only 2 days in it.

*Looks awesome! I sent in my own case for this. I really liked the white better and had enquired whether or not the white was ever in stock. After being told it wasn’t, I looked into getting one off Amazon. £49 - same as the black one, still with the blue led fan in the front. At first I thought I’d have to have it shipped to my address and then post it down to PCS myself, so I was relieved when I read I could get it sent straight from Amazon to PCS. (I think the postage to send it was about £22+ otherwise :O)

image-8.jpeg image-10-1.jpeg

*Quality. I think it looks very well put together. I’ve got no complaints there, the people putting these together aren’t just throwing the parts together without a care, although someone did have dirty hands on my graphics card. :p The case is in perfect condition, and everything on the back panel looks neatly installed. All the cables are grouped together. I’ll be honest; I dread having to undo any of them since all the cables look like one identical mess.

image-9-1.jpeg image-4.jpeg

*Delivery. It got dispatched on the 13th, Tuesday afternoon. Like a crazy person I refreshed the tracking half a dozen times a minute for the next 24hrs. Last update I saw was logged in at 8pm, where it had arrived at some facility in Birmingham (It went south for some reason before coming all the way back up north lol). At this point I assumed it would stop there over night. I got up the next morning eager to refresh the page only to find that it had arrived in Newcastle at 3am and it was already out for delivery on the google map tracking thing they had.

*More here when I get to turn it on!

Little things...

*PCI covers. I guess this could fit slightly into the cons too. My case was supposed to come with a spare PCI slot cover as well as the one that is removed for, in my case, the network card. So I was expecting 2 slot covers in my welcome pack. I also thought I'd get the front panel back too.I did get what appears to be another size slot for the network card, a tiny little thing, guessing for another size case.

image-11-1-1.jpeg

*Power Cable. I didn’t think much of this at first. It was only later I thought that the PSU surely must have a power cable, so I was fine with having 2, a spare cant harm, but I have only received one cable. If someone could clarify on that if they know more.

*Discount. I made my spec and was debating over it for a few days. The price changed quite a bit during this and in this time I found a discount code on a banner ad. I read the forums, which said there was a place to put the code in when putting in your card details so I clicked through to pay and found nothing. Some other guy had this exact issue and told how he bought his pc and then PCS credited the discount after since he couldn’t put the code in. So I rang up about this and was told to email the code in after I’d made my transaction and the same thing would be done. So I emailed my order number and the fact that I’d been in touch and told to email the code in and got a reply back saying I’d been told wrong. Only 15 quid but it would have been a nice bonus.

[cont. next post... 5 mini picture limit :dots:]

Last edited:

lost90

Continued...

Cons

*PSU. At the time I didn’t really know much about power supplies, so I was pretty much following the configurator, which had told me that the 450w PSU was sufficient. It was after the computer had arrived that I learnt that the GTX 760 requires 170w, which I guess puts it in a grey area. I saw it was recommended to have a 500w minimum.

So I was sort of alright with that, until I read about the +12V requirements for the card. I think I read that it requires 30A. I know my PSU has 2 +12v both 18A, so I googled and got a mixed response. Some saying the 18 isn’t enough and will therefore limit my card and open up the PSU to problems since its running too much (worse I read that if it goes over the max amp it shuts it off completely) and others saying that the 2 are combined for 36A and it would run the card fine.

image-1.jpeg

The one thing that was mentioned in all of these was that you shouldn’t use a 450w psu with it anyway and everyone was advised to upgrade. So now I feel like I’ve paid for something that’s not really suitable for my setup but has been allowed through anyway.

*PSU 2.0. PCS had this psu listed as 80 Plus, which according to this site it is not.

And some more pics, I was looking around the motherboard for fan inputs.

image-7.jpeg 7cf28daa-4be7-4623-baed-a19f9d98feeb.jpg 55d6e2d2-186b-4b2a-ae3f-c7fde67e4a9b.jpg image-2.jpeg

My PCs future:

1. I want to SLI, so at some point I’ll be sticking another 760 in there

2. I love the LED fans, so I’m planning on putting a few more of those in. Already got 1 coming. BitFenix Spectre Pro – Red LED. My computer is probably going to end up looking like a rainbow, since there’s a blue led in the front and I was thinking of getting a second and placing 2 reds on the side

3. I was looking at a Corsair GS800 as a PSU upgrade, again I like the fan led thing, plus it has the 4 PCI connectors for upgrading my gpu.

4. A second monitor. Bought a 23inch LG IPS ea63v. I didn’t realize how big 23inches were until I measured it across my desk. I wont know what’s hit me.

5. Most likely get another HD. I hoard things. Real things. Digital things. Everything.

6. Waaaay in the future, I’ll probably be more open to more expensive cases, I like the windowed side panel on some.

I’ll wait to conclude until I’ve used the computer a bit, but here for your entertainment… what I upgraded from….

Macbook Pro 13” Mid June 2009
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400m 256MB
250GB

:surrender: I love it. It’s dinky. But after 4 years, it’s got no space, its struggling and I’m a bit scared to push it after it sputtered a load of ash out a couple of months ago.

And lastly, suggestions about the PSU are welcome and if I’m wrong anywhere or misinformed I’ll happily amend what I’ve said. Also I’m aware my case can hold 7 fans (2 front, 2 side, 2 top and the back exhaust), I’m assuming the cpu fan takes one of these 7 up, and the exhaust fan is plugged into Cha_fan1 which should leave 5 more possible fans. I can find 2 more cha_fan and 1 cpu_opt, which means 2 fans left. Are these 2 fans to be connected directly to the PSU, as I think the front fan already is or should my motherboard support more?

Next update (in a couple of days) and more pics should hopefully come from my PC! :D Thank you for reading and any comments.

Last edited: