Performance issue

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Hey, so as you can see in my signiture I have a really powerful computer. I downloaded Wolfenstein: Youngblood on Xbox Game Pass for PC. I have seen videos of it being played on similar specs at 4k on maxed settings, with DLSS on Quality setting at over 100fps with ease.

I am running the game at 1440p on maxed settings with DLSS on the performance setting, and I'm regularly dipping below 60fps. I've tried DLSS on the quality setting but that's much worse with dips as low as 40fps. I've tried VSync off, on, and Adaptive, but only on is smoothest and without tearing. The VSync in-game wasn't great so I turned it off and used the NVIDIA control panel for VSync and it was much smoother, but still dipping in fps as above.

My temps while playing are all fine, with both my CPU and GPU running at around 55-60c. I've tried playing with no other Apps open as well. I'm very confused and can't really think why it's doing this but it's getting me worried there is something wrong with my PC.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Ok, can you post up your specs from the ordering page, you've got a top end (for Intel anyway) CPU and a great system otherwise.... apart from your SSD but that wont explain your frame drops

Was going to go off on one about the 9900k probably thermo throttling but you have said the temps are ok? How are you measuring that, with the Icue corsair thingy?

Might be worth you downloading HW Monitor, it gives the experts something good to look at. It includes temps but also voltages and loads

Also, if you havent already got it, download 3D Mark, this is a good graphics stress test. Demo is free

How old is the system? Is this a recent fault?

egorgeg

Enthusiast
I'm having issues logging in so can't get the order page up. I will try to fix that later, but I thought my sig would have all the specs needed really.

I got those temps from HW Monitor as it's what I have always used, though I know nothing about voltages and things.

I got the PC in March this year so it's not that old. I've not noticed bad lag in any games really, and the ones that do lag I've seen have issues with optimisations anyway and people with similar specs run it just as bad if not worse.

I went to get 3D Mark but I'm not going to buy that.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Okay I did the free demo test. Here are results:

13, 823 in Time Spy (v1.2)

Graphics score: 14 377
Graphics test 1: 91.91 FPS
Graphics test 2: 83.86 FPS

CPU score: 11 348
CPU test: 38.13 FPS

Last edited:

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Doesnt look like there's anything obvious in that test, high FPS, just ran mine and I realise it's comparing apples and oranges as your rig is mega compared to mine

7721 in Time Spy

Graphics Score 7695
Test 1 50.04 FPS
Test 2 44.21 FPS

CPU Score 7875
CPU Test 26.46 FPS.

Think you need @SpyderTracks or @Scott to have a look for you. I clicked on the compare results online and a similar system to yours (albeit just a RTX 2080, not a Ti) had a result of 11085.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Alright thanks. I'm going to have a mess around with the settings a little bit tomorrow and maybe look up some more on performance in the game with RTX with smilar specs.

I found out the video I saw of it running maxed at 4k with RTX and DLSS on Quality actually just said "maxed" and I assumed it meant RTX on and DLSS on Quality because that's "maxed".

But I did find a video of it running in 4K with DLSS on Quality and RTX on running smoothly above 60 most of the time. And I'm only at 1440p I shouldn't be lagging.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Yeah that's what I was saying in the post. I saw that too so I was confused as to why I can't even hit 75fps (my monitors refresh rate).

EDIT: So it turned out I am to blame for this issue. I have now fixed it.

Now I have a new issue, despite me running at a contant 75fps it's stuttering like crazy. VSync off, on, and adaptive. I've tried in-game and NVIDIA Control Panel as well.

Looking up the issue gets me a few people saying that the game can run fine on one persons PC with moderate specs, but someone with a beast PC stutters and lags.

Last edited:

egorgeg

Enthusiast
I was playing at an odd resolution wich was causing it as far as I know. but I was messing with a few settings so could have been another. But I know now I'm running it maxed over 120fps. Just the stutter issue is annoying.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Ok, cool. Have you tried any other games to see if the stuttering remains? I thought Vsync etc supposed to stop this sort of thing?

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Yeah I've not noticed any other games having this issue. Doom Eternal did even with VSync but after I turned it off then forced VSync on the NVIDIA Control Panel it fixed it. Doesn't work for this game.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I've not noticed any other games having this issue. Doom Eternal did even with VSync but after I turned it off then forced VSync on the NVIDIA Control Panel it fixed it. Doesn't work for this game.
What monitor are you using? If you’re using vsync that will disable adaptive sync which kind of defeats the point of a gaming screen unless it doesn’t have Gsync/freesync? It would be far better to enable adaptive sync on all games.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
What monitor are you using? If you’re using vsync that will disable adaptive sync which kind of defeats the point of a gaming screen unless it doesn’t have Gsync/freesync? It would be far better to enable adaptive sync on all games.

I'm using an Acer Nitro. It does have FreeSync but is not G-Sync compatable. When I bought it I wasn't planning on buying a new computer at the time so I didn't really think ahead and get a slightly more expensive G-Sync monitor. Though after I buy a PS5 I'm going to be saving for one for sure.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm using an Acer Nitro. It does have FreeSync but is not G-Sync compatable. When I bought it I wasn't planning on buying a new computer at the time so I didn't really think ahead and get a slightly more expensive G-Sync monitor. Though after I buy a PS5 I'm going to be saving for one for sure.
You can still use freesync, it’s much more effective than vsync

egorgeg

Enthusiast
You can still use freesync, it’s much more effective than vsync

I followed those steps and got it working, I had to reinstall Wolfenstein: Youngblood so I tried Assassins Creed: Origins as in that game I had VSync issues too. With VSync off it was over 100 fps at 1440p but so much stutter it made me feel ill, with some crazy screen tearing. I swtiched the VSync to adaptive and it was smooth again. Same with VSync on.

Now I just tried Wolfenstein: Youngblood after reinstalling it and with VSync on and on adaptive it's the same as before; Limited to 75fps and doesn't go under 75 but feels really stuttery making me ill. Switching VSync off is a horrible mess same as Assassins Creed: Origins.

So I'm not sure if adavptive sync is working? It didn't fix my isssue either way in Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I followed those steps and got it working, I had to reinstall Wolfenstein: Youngblood so I tried Assassins Creed: Origins as in that game I had VSync issues too. With VSync off it was over 100 fps at 1440p but so much stutter it made me feel ill, with some crazy screen tearing. I swtiched the VSync to adaptive and it was smooth again. Same with VSync on.

Now I just tried Wolfenstein: Youngblood after reinstalling it and with VSync on and on adaptive it's the same as before; Limited to 75fps and doesn't go under 75 but feels really stuttery making me ill. Switching VSync off is a horrible mess same as Assassins Creed: Origins.

So I'm not sure if adavptive sync is working? It didn't fix my isssue either way in Wolfenstein: Youngblood.
Just wondering, what AV are you running?

Where did you install youngblood from, was it Steam?

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Just wondering, what AV are you running?

Where did you install youngblood from, was it Steam?

AV = Anti Virus? If so Bullguard. I've already tried running the game with it off and that did nothing.

But I installed from the Xbox Game Pass for PC on the Xbox Beta app.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not sure what AV means sorry, but I installed from the Xbox Game Pass for PC on the Xbox Beta app.
AV is anti virus.

Have a look through here, it has some suggestions to optimise settings.

Are you graphics drivers up to date?