Phantom DVD Drive....

Hi there

My PC is showing a non-existent drive - it looks like the Asus DVD which I put in the other day, but I've taken it out and there's a CD in the drive now!

Snap2.png

Any ideas ?

Cheers

John

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I can think of two possibilities.

1. Open device manager and if the phantom DVD is listed there then uninstall it.

2. Open Administrative Tools, Computer management, Disk Management. Navigate to the phantom DVD drive and delete it's drive letter.

Let me know if either of those help? :)

PokerFace

Banned
I can think of two possibilities.

1. Open device manager and if the phantom DVD is listed there then uninstall it.

2. Open Administrative Tools, Computer management, Disk Management. Navigate to the phantom DVD drive and delete it's drive letter.

Let me know if either of those help? :)

I tried option 2 and it worked for me. The extra drives and letters were assigned when I connected a USB pen drive and also a camera.

Hiya

I just restarted the PC and it went away ?!

Cheers

John

Mine never went away after restart, only when I did option 2 above.

Ah, I sort of imagined you'd already tried that. Glad it's sorted anyway. :)

Thanks for getting rid of my F,G,H & I drives. "My Computer" looks a lot tidier now :)

Repped :sailor:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Good news. :)

For USB pen drives and cameras etc. open up Device Manager again. Click on the View menu and from the drop-down list click on Show Hidden Devices. Now expand the Disk Drives entry and you'll find all the USB drives and cameras etc. listed in there. As long as the USB drive or camera etc. are not currently plugged in you can safely uninstall these entries.

PokerFace

Banned
Good news. :)

For USB pen drives and cameras etc. open up Device Manager again. Click on the View menu and from the drop-down list click on Show Hidden Devices. Now expand the Disk Drives entry and you'll find all the USB drives and cameras etc. listed in there. As long as the USB drive or camera etc. are not currently plugged in you can safely uninstall these entries.

OK, I just did that too, but they'll just reappear every time I plug something back in won't they? So I guess there's not much point to it really is there?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OK, I just did that too, but they'll just reappear every time I plug something back in won't they? So I guess there's not much point to it really is there?

Yes they will, I was just indicating how you could delete drives you no longer use. :)