Phenom II X4 970 Temps

JSG10

Expert
Hi all,

I've been doing some transcoding of videos files in Vuze recently and noticed that ALL cores are at 100% while doing this and that the CPU fan is really going some.

So I loaded up CPUID HWMonitor and I'm seeing the fan at 45-4600RPM and temps of 66-67 degrees Celcius on each core.

I looked up the temp range for the 970 and from what I can see max is around 62 :S Should I be concerned?!

Any idea why it should be getting so hot? Wouldn't have thought it such a CPU intensive task, certainly not to this extent anyway.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmmm, what case and cpu cooler have you got dude?

Have you cleaned out the case recently, maybe a little dust is insulating the heat?

JSG10

Expert
Check sig ;-) lol

Stock cooler.

I think I may have realised my mistake, I've been looking at core temps rather than overall CPU temps so no quite accurate. Will keep an eye on them again.

Yes, you probably have a point about the cleaning, it really needs doing but it's getting the time to do it and faffing unplugging and moving the whole thing to do it :S

JSG10

Expert
Lmao yeah they can get full pretty quick, only had it a year but I know it's fulla dust :S

Got to get some compressed air first, local shop charges a fortune for it! Ridiculous. Get a bit worried about usuing it though as I often find it putting mositure out :S Don't know how harmful this would be, it's not loads but it's enough to make things wet, dries pretty quick though so would hope it's not a problem.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
to save unplugging it and that, i just used to use a cloth and tea towels to pick up the major dust, then a few cotton buds to clear the blades of the fans

JSG10

Expert
I think if I'm going to mess around inside, in any way at all, that I'll unplug it, just to be on the safe side ;)

Gibbs

Gold Level Poster
Those temps seem ok to me for 100% CPU usage with a stock cooler. Encoding will use the full power of the CPU also.

djack

My CPU runs 29 deg c with no load and 47 deg c at full load and running bf3, running off SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER with 2 intake arctic cooling case fans and 2 exhaust arctic cooling fans at top of my iwin case.

Edit. It's same CPU!

Last edited: