Phenom II x6 1100T cooler upgrade...is it worth it??

Petchi b

Hi guys,

Is it worth upgrading the standard cooler you get with the 1100T? Especially as I may overclock it at some stage..

Cheers

Petchi b

Ok thanks. Would the 22dBA Tripple Copper Heatpipe suffice or would I need something more expensive?

Petchi b

no worries. Do you already have the pc? and you just looking for upgrade options or are you buying now?

I have ordered the PC, it is on its 5th working day. Check out my spec in "Show off your new PC." I have not done much overclocking before but I have heard how easy it is to overclock the 1100T to 4.0GHz - getting 700MHz extra per core sounds appealing. Although 6 cores at 3.3GHz should be fast enough!

I know Wozza says he would upgrade it anyway without overclocking - it would cost £40-£100 to upgrade and I didn't want to pay it unless it was really needed.

Anyway cheers guys - I will have a think. :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
the £19 triple copper will definetly be sufficient if you are not overclocking and should be ok for the smallest of overclocks, although you will definetly need a good case if you are going to OC with the triple copper

pr1s0ner

Triple cooler, standard case, not OC'ed and mine sits at 32 33 degrees, so deffinately a little room there Id say :)

Petchi b

Wozza I have ordered the CM HAF X Full Tower case, I've read its got very good airflow. So are you guys saying its defo worth getting the tripple copper instead of the standard cooling even if I decided not to overclock..?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd opt for the titan if you are going for the haf-x. The titan is a big heatsink, but the haf - x is massive, will accommodate it well, awesome at cooling. You won't lose the side on, cause it will fit nicely.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it actually says the sniper is bigger and yet apparently i wouldnt be able to fit side fan and titan in :(

Petchi b

I think I will just stick with the tripple copper for now as my £1000 budget is already pushing £1200!!! Damn you forum! :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yep it will be more than enough, if you are over budget, consider downgrading the case? i personally like the CM690, it looks good and is very cheap or the sniper case, thats what im getting, mainly for the fan controller and the good looks

Petchi b

I'm happy with my case to be honest even though it cost £139!! I was advised not to skimp on a case...its very big, plenty of space for upgrades (Crossfire etc), very good air flow, very easy to maintain and doesn't get too hot! Fingers crossed!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
its big enough for upgrades itself, but the PSU isnt, you will not be able to get a second graphics card with a 750W, you will probably need at leadt 1000W if you want 2 6970s

Petchi b

Ah ok. But that is certainly something to think about a lot further down the line. It shouldn't need upgrading anytime soon. :)