Phenom or Bulldozer?

RogueTainer

Bronze Level Poster
Hello I'm getting my computer built with a AMD PHENOM II X4 QUAD CORE 980 (3.70GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3), how does this rank alongside the Bulldozer chips available?
Ive read a lot of negative stuff about the Bulldozer chips, has anyone on here got one of them?
Apparently the Bulldozer chip comes into its own when Windows 8 is released?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ive got the top bulldozer, its immense, and windows 8 will improve it even more, im pretty sure there will be an update for windows 7 for it, there was but microsoft removed it, obviously too buggy still

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
nope, i had a problem originally with saints row 3 starting up, but a BIOS update sorted that, other than that, ive had no problems and ahve run every games i own on max settings without any problems, including bf3

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no not yet, i havent got round to buying it, its not at the top of my list of games to get, will have a look to see if i can pick up a copy for about £15

mart22

Bronze Level Poster
I was torn between a bulldozer or Phenom II CPU. Reading IT community forums gave a pretty negative impression of bulldozers and I seriously considered having a PII x 6 instead. However, I didn't do it. I've gone for the top bulldozer, my PC order is in the processing stage, I can't wait to get it!
Maybe I'll post how I find performance once I'm up and running. People might find it useful. Actually if Wozza posted a bit more on his bulldozer experience I'm sure people would find it very helpful. Especially as Wozza has considerably more knowledge of CPU's, and how they should perform, than your everyday PC buyer/user.
What do you reckon Wozza?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
haha, ive got a review coming up of my computer, so ill look into a section on the processor

have a look at some pics of my case online and the CPU coolr

Xoil

The bulldozer is a great chip just a lot of features are not fully supported by Windows OS, MS released a patch to fully activate the chip but it was removed due to it being "incomplete", it is being re-released in Jan/Feb time so until then the full potential of the CPU cannot be said. The Bulldozer would future-proof your PC. Especially as Intel and AMD are beginning to release 6+ core CPU's, programs and games will soon begin to use more cores most likely.

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
If you've not decided already, i'd go for Bulldozer, with it being the newer range of CPU's :) Also, one they have ironed out the bugs, they will be even better than they are now like Wozza said :)

RogueTainer

Bronze Level Poster
Like a lot of people ive read up on the Bulldozer & ive realised maybe in the very near future this chips potential will be a lot better then it seems to be right now, the update is bound to help it improve even more, ive decided to get the FX-8150 installed instead of the Phenom.
My pc should be ready about the 20th of January because of missing parts (NZXT fan controller & the Dual radiator) i'll review it's performance shortly after
Thanks for all feedback guys :rockon:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm just going to throw this spanner in the works :)

Intel i5 2500 or i7 2600, done!

edit- serious answer I'd go for the best bulldozer 8 core, hopefully AMD will be able to offer good competition for intel in the future. Once win 8 arrives or the updates are released for win 7.

Last edited:

leea123

Enthusiast
been reading this thread with interest and have a couple of questions, would updates to improve the bulldozer be through windows updates, or would it need to be a internet search for an update, and a chance to mess my pc up as im not exactly a pc pro ?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I think it will be updates to the bios, you check your mobo's website and if an update comes along, use it. However, win 8 might make use of the 8 core bulldozer a bit more, especially more than windows 7 does.