Pink artifacts on screen.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
Hard to say exactly honestly, I'd say maybe during the second half of 2020 ? Something like that.
I know the CPU undervolt came first, then GPU much later when I noticed power limit / voltage limit in Riva Tuner while playing games and wanted to get rid of that.

I received the laptop in November 2019, sent it back because it wasn't the screen I've purchased, got it back in December 2019.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hard to say exactly honestly, I'd say maybe during the second half of 2020 ? Something like that.
I know the CPU undervolt came first, then GPU much later when I noticed power limit / voltage limit in Riva Tuner while playing games and wanted to get rid of that.

I received the laptop in November 2019, sent it back because it wasn't the screen I've purchased, got it back in December 2019.
I would remove any settings in afterburner and retest quickly.

I would remove both as the laptop needs to perform normally without any kind of undervolt on either gpu or cpu. They need to do their testing on a “flat” system without any adaptations. Undervolt should only ever be done to optimise temperatures, never to correct them otherwise the underlying cause hasn’t been addressed and will invariably lead to failures.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just further, I do recall some people with this chassis where the heatsink was almost warped and didn’t sit properly and make good contact leading to temperature irregularities, hopefully it’s something like that.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
I would remove any settings in afterburner and retest quickly.

I would remove both as the laptop needs to perform normally without any kind of undervolt on either gpu or cpu. They need to do their testing on a “flat” system without any adaptations. Undervolt should only ever be done to optimise temperatures, never to correct them otherwise the underlying cause hasn’t been addressed and will invariably lead to failures.
That does make sense, I was wondering whether or not I should indicate in my RMA details that I did undervolt both components, but I don't think it's really necessary as they will do their testing anyway. My biggest fear is that they won't be able to see those artifacts, they're not always displayed on screen.

Just further, I do recall some people with this chassis where the heatsink was almost warped and didn’t sit properly and make good contact leading to temperature irregularities, hopefully it’s something like that.
I doubt that would be the case, I recently repasted both CPU and GPU and made sure to unscrew and screw everything back in the correct order. The heatsink looked brand new under there. I think the real issue is that without any kind of undervolting, the GPU gets hot fairly quickly because it goes way beyond its boost clock and power/voltage can't keep up.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That does make sense, I was wondering whether or not I should indicate in my RMA details that I did undervolt both components, but I don't think it's really necessary as they will do their testing anyway. My biggest fear is that they won't be able to see those artifacts, they're not always displayed on screen.
If the artifacts don’t show when the undervolt is taken off the gpu then it suggests the undervolt was too severe, or, and I’m not trying to be obsequious here, just a rational possible alternative to bad heatsink, perhaps mistakenly an overvolt or overclock was applied on the GPU which would explain the symptoms, but not if you had them on receiving the unit.

I wouldn’t worry about telling them, it wouldn’t change their testing at all.
I think the real issue is that without any kind of undervolting, the GPU gets hot fairly quickly because it goes way beyond its boost clock and power/voltage can't keep up.
But that’s not normal operation, that’s down to a problem with your particular setup. On that chassis we only ever had people with cpu issues, never gpu as I recall.

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
No unfortunately they show regardless of what kind of undervolt I apply to the GPU, but they appear pretty randomly if that makes sense. Usually in videos and games with dark environments, but some days they appear some days they don't. That's what I'm afraid of.

As for my undervolt values, I don't think they're over the top, I just wanted to match the 2080 Mobile clocks (1380/1590).
I'm no expert by any means but I'm not sure you would fry a card causing artifacting with undervolting only ?

But that’s not normal operation, that’s down to a problem with your particular setup. On that chassis we only ever had people with cpu issues, never gpu as I recall.

I don't really know if it's supposed to be like that or not, but without undervolting, the clocks will go as high as they can (as you can see in the second picture, I'm hitting almost 1800MHz for 75°C and power throttling). I'm not sure an RTX 2080 Mobile is supposed to go this high.
Since overclocking would instantly void my warranty, believe me I didn't even hover my mouse close to the OC button 😂

EDIT : Btw, when I'm not gaming or using GPU heavy applications, I always hit the reset button on Afterburner so the undervolt is never applied outside of games or GPU intensive applications - yet the artifacts still appear from time to time.

Attachments

• Undervolt values.png
    Undervolt values.png
    531.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Without.png
    Without.png
    47 KB · Views: 117
  • Reset settings.png
    Reset settings.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Orpheus

Bronze Level Poster
The laptop was sent back and received today by PCS.
Hopefully this ongoing shortage will not affect their supply of RTX 2080 MXM cards, it's kind of the worst time to RMA anything electronic these days but I didn't have much of a choice since my warranty for parts expires in December.

Fingers crossed !