Placed order, any last minute amendments recommended?!

whiskey29

So, finally taken the plunge and ordered after much advice from the guys here (very gratefully received), and constant searching of the forums :D. I will tinker with overclocking, but wont push it to the extremes, mainly for gaming and videos, with a little photo editing. Also have two monitors, whilst i like to play on one monitor and have the other open for internet etc. Let me know if theres any last minute changes you'd make? I will be adding a WD SSD (120GB) as the primary drive when it arrives. Are there any obvious bottlenecks?

Apologies for posting again after all the kind advice, but its a lot of money (for me anyway) and I want to make sure i get it right initially!!

Last questions are

1) Concerning the MOBO choice is it big enough to upgrade to 2x 680s in SLI in the future? Would the P8z77-V Pro or Sabretooth be a better choice as theyre larger?
2) Is the cooling sufficient, not sure about ALC as I had a Domino previously which broke after a year.

Case
InWIN WHITE DRAGON RIDER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770k (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® MAXIMUS V GENE: M-ATX, INTEL Z77 ROG MOTHERBOARD
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO II FAT BOY PUSH/PULL CONFIG LIQUID CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Many thanks, cant wait for it to arrive :D

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Why don't you go with the sabertooh z77? I am assuming you planning to overclock, I have the fatboy and it is pretty good and solid.

whiskey29

purely because I have no idea about the MOBOS! Did some tech review searching and the Sabertooth only just seemed to creep ahead? Plus the Maximus had natty red lights :wub: !!

But seriously, I will OC, but not to the very edge, hence the indecison between Sabretooth and Maximus, really appreciate your opinion on this!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
purely because I have no idea about the MOBOS! Did some tech review searching and the Sabertooth only just seemed to creep ahead? Plus the Maximus had natty red lights :wub: !!

But seriously, I will OC, but not to the very edge, hence the indecison between Sabretooth and Maximus, really appreciate your opinion on this!

I have read reviews on both and I personally like the Sabertooth z77. If you planning to OC I'd recommend going for an OC spec (done by PCS) you will also get the option for a better thermal paste.

whiskey29

Thanks Ruben, have sent PCS an email asking them to OC it and add the Arctic thermal paste :) Still not sure about which Mobo though :p

Can you see any obvious problems anywhere else? Bottlenecks etc?

Thanks for the assistance, sent you some rep :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks Ruben, have sent PCS an email asking them to OC it and add the Arctic thermal paste :) Still not sure about which Mobo though :p

Can you see any obvious problems anywhere else? Bottlenecks etc?

Thanks for the assistance, sent you some rep :)

If I were to order again I'd go with the above + the sabertooth z77 (such a great looking mobo and good features for overclocking).
However whether the GTX 680 is good value for money? you may want to go with the GTX 670 since the performance difference is minimal and last time I check the difference in price was £100. I am still happy with my GTX 680.

Last edited:

whiskey29

ok you and Wolvo7 (in a seperate thread) convinced me!! Have now gone for the Sabretooth as well :D, as Wolvo also pointed out the Maximus is a micro-ATX board which means that it's smaller than the others and thus offers less PCI slots.