Planetside 2

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Anyone in the Technical Test? 2nd week of Tech Test and I'm loving it! Don't get me wrong, it has its fair share of bugs but for a game that hasn't even hit BETA yet, and supports 2000 players on a map, it runs good! I'm currently playing with a large Terran Republic Outfit (Guild/Clan) on the West Coast servers (although there is a Euro server)

brukin

Silver Level Poster
Just picked up my beta access from an old account linked to my original Planetside account and downloaded and started playing on the Euro 02 server last night. Brings back lots of memories from the original. Although found the game to be fairly tough on GPU, 2 x 5850 (a bit dated I know but does well in BF3) giving 30-35 fps on average with everything maxed out... Dropped to medium settings to get 50+.

rickne

Master Poster
I was one of the PC gamer beta key holders from months and months ago. Still no invite. sigh.

Kai121

Bronze Level Poster
Guys I have 10 Planetside 2 Beta keys to give away (Alpha Squad Pre-purchase granted this) so anyone wanting a go before launch send me a message and I will forward a key for you :)

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Yeah I've also got a bunch of keys from being in since test phase so if for some crazy reason Kai runs out then give me a shout. Although I'm sure I heard release is only a couple weeks away.

rickne

Master Poster
Game is go go go go available from Steam or from Planetside.eu for the prosieben version. Id stick with steam for the us accounts. Also if you were on the beta.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Is it worth downloading? I think it's a 15gb download which would take my pc a good while to download! I've watched a couple of vids and it seems to be pretty cool but at the same time it looks like one of those games were you can spend like 20 minutes without seeing anybody only to be picked off by a sniper miles away?

I've got plenty of new games to play at the moment so not massively fussed but I would like to see what the hype is about if it's worth the 20 hour download haha!

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Its a brilliant game but like a lot of games you don't really get the full experience unless your in a organised outfit (guild / clan) in which case there is usually always some serious fighting going down!

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Do not join Miller (EU) server,

unfortunately it is suffering from severe technical difficulties a la my video below :(

[video=youtube;K2fym5oL1Yc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2fym5oL1Yc&list=UUBEgve3NQvLctW3vQZ_AXXg&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Hey guys, downloaded PS2 last night and will probably have a blast tonight. Is anyone gonna be on? Or tell me what server or team I should be joining? :L

kruppsy

Master
Hey guys, downloaded PS2 last night and will probably have a blast tonight. Is anyone gonna be on? Or tell me what server or team I should be joining? :L

I've got a BF3 update to download then I'll be downloading this. I was wondering about the team thing as well, do you have to pick the right team initially in order to be on the same side as mates or can you chop and change?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I've got a BF3 update to download then I'll be downloading this. I was wondering about the team thing as well, do you have to pick the right team initially in order to be on the same side as mates or can you chop and change?

From what I can see so far you can create multiple characters but those characters are specific to the server and the team so you can't chop and change (I imagine there's something you can buy with real money in the store that lets you transfer). Obviously you can create a new character but then you would go back to rank 1 with no weapons. I decided to go for the blue team (can't remember the name but they're basically like rebels I think) and I can't remember for the life of me what server I'm on. It was one of the medium population EU ones and I'll have a look when I get home and PM you.

I'm very impressed with the game so far. Only played 2-3 hours last night and had heard a lot of bad things on the PS2 forums about it being very Pay2Win and buggy, etc. I've had no troubles so far, don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage against other guns at all. It's a very good game and although it can take a while to get from base to base and sometimes it feels like you're just a lost little soldier running around in the wilderness, it soon picks up once you actually reach your destination. You'll be accompanied by dozens and dozens of team mates (dare I say hundreds?!) and you'll all be storming the same base. Sometimes they're lame, others they're brilliant. I was in a room trying to push up some stairs with about 50 blokes. It was amazing. I'll let you judge it for yourself though :) It is unfriendly to new people! You literally get dropped onto the map with no hints of where to go or what to do. You will just find yourself running around shooting everything you see for a bit!

Everon

Enthusiast
Been playing this for about a week and the game is great apart from some glaring issues.

I know that at its core this game is "freetoplay" but it is pretty evident that it is also "paytowin". The rate at which the game rewards "credits" for time played is pittiful, and playing for lets say 8 hours does not even give enough currency to buy a better gun. This is put next to how many "credits" you get for paying £10 and it quickly becomes evident that unless you want to pay you will not get the best gear unless your willing to play for eternity or have a large wallet.

When you come against players or teams that have spent loads in real money to buy the best equipment you just get your ass handed to you in seconds, which is nearly ALL of the time. This makes the game frustrating in my opinion and ends up being like this: Res- run to fight -get ass blown off before you can see who killed you - res - repeat... gets real old after a while.

Not even going to start on the Infiltrators broken "stealth" lol. Back to Far Cry 3 for me!

Just my two cents, Jay

Edit: Jack Guinea about finding settings. You can find those on the character select screen at the bottom right or at anytime once in the game by pressing "Escape" and then look to the bottom right and you will see the cog icon and settings..

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Been playing this for about a week and the game is great apart from some glaring issues.

I know that at its core this game is "freetoplay" but it is pretty evident that it is also "paytowin". The rate at which the game rewards "credits" for time played is pittiful, and playing for lets say 8 hours does not even give enough currency to buy a better gun. This is put next to how many "credits" you get for paying £10 and it quickly becomes evident that unless you want to pay you will not get the best gear unless your willing to play for eternity or have a large wallet.

To be honest it was always going to be like that, something has to pay for development and maintenance time for the game, many MMO's have aspects of 'yes its free to play, but to get anything good you'll need to spend actual money' it in now.

Everon

Enthusiast
I understand that Rakk as this isnt the only FtP game i play, but this game is just massively unbalanced for those willing to pay real money to win.

The problem is the ratio of time spent playing Vs the amount of credits you receive for that time. There is no incentive to play to "earn" the credits through play time while giving to many credits for real money, its unbalanced. It has been discussed at length on the Planetside2 forums.

Its fine if all you want is a free fun blaster to spend some hours on, but if your serious about it you have to be willing to open your wallet as trying to earn credits through effort is not worth the time investment.