Playing Blu-Ray Movies

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
Good afternoon,

I've had my PCS Desktop for 5 years now and it's given me faultless service.

However, I've just tried to watch a Blu-Ray movie and it says it can't play it,
even though I have a BD player as part of the system.

I've always been able to play DVD's, but this is my first attempt at a Blu-Ray.

Can anyone assist me, please?

(Kindly note that I'm a pensioner with only a basic computer knowledge!)

Thank you.

ClarkF1

Bronze Level Poster
You need special Blu-Ray software such as Cyberlink PowerDVD (don't let the name fool you). Be warned, the standard version doesn't play Blu-Ray, you need Pro or Ultra.

There are other products out there too but I've haven't used them. A quick google search should find them.

You also need to make sure your monitor is connected to the PC using an HDMI cable (pic below).

HDMI-Cable-800x800_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you.

There's a PowerDVD10 CD included in my Welcome Pack.

It says it's OEM version.

Is that what I need, please?

ClarkF1

Bronze Level Poster
It depends which whether it's the Standard version or not. You can install it and find out. The worst you'll end up with is another piece of software for playing DVDs. Bear in mind that PowerDVD10 is 7 years old and no longer supported so it might not play modern titles.

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Must say I'm surprised it wasn't installed by PCS when I ordered the computer,
as they've provided a BD player which effectively doesn't work!

Stephen M

Author Level
VLC player is free and open source and will play most things, including Blu-Ray, you may need to fiddle a bit but it is worth downloading as it is one of the best media players you will find

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
ClarkF1,

I installed the OED PowerDVD10 and it immediately gave a link to upgrade to PowerDVD12 free of charge.

Having installed Version 12, I can now watch all my Star Trek Blu-Rays on my computer, so many thanks.

Stephen M,

Thanks for the suggestion but, as you see, a free version of PowerDVD12 did the trick.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Glad to hear it works.

I expect PCS didn't install it as, if you don't actually need it, the software is annoying as hell. Also PCS try to avoid 'bloatware' and you managed to live without it for 5 years :) - or did you try to run a blu-ray a while ago and find you couldn't, but didn't have the time to dig into it then? As I agree that'd be quite unfortunate

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for your interest Oussebon, but you have me a little puzzled.

How is PowerDVD "annoying as hell" if I'm not using it? :confused: