Playing 'squad' on vortex laptop

tom0311

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

I got a vortex laptop from here a couple of years ago. It's been brilliant so far, running every game I choose with no issues. New releases always run fine which is a pleasant surprise, top machine! Been really impressed with it.

However, I'm trying to play 'squad' on it at the moment and having absolutely dreadful FPS. First time I've encountered an issue. I know the game is in alpha state, and I'm playing it on a laptop not a desktop, but it drops down to 5-10 fps after a few minutes and is pretty much unplayable.

The spec of my laptop is:

i7-4810MQ 2.8ghz
16gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX880m 16gb RAM

The recommended spec for squad is:

3ghz quad core CPU (minimum is 2.4 so I'm on the higher end of the range)
6gb RAM
DX12 GPU with 2GB RAM (mine is only up to DX11 I think?)

Has anyone else got squad running on this sort of spec? I've played with people who have desktop pcs with lower spec but way higher FPS.

Could it be a cooling thing perhaps? Or shall I be patient and wait for the game to be optimised along the way.

If it's the GFX card that is holding things up, I hear they're impossible to upgrade on laptops? Or is that just a warranty thing.

Cheers

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Have you monitored the temperatures whilst playing? You can use HWMonitor to do so if you haven't. The temperatures may be too high which would cause the GPU to lower its clock speed to keep cool. In which case you could clean out the laptop, add some extra height under the laptop to increase airflow or buy a laptop cooler to increase airflow.

Post the temperatures as soon as you see the framerate start to drop

Rakk

The Awesome
I know the game is in alpha state

As well as check things like temperatures as Wozza suggested, do note that the game is in 'Alpha', this could mean that it has issues with various bits of hardware or anything like that.
If the game has some alpha forums, you might want to check it out and see if other people with similar setups to yours are having similar issues, cos it's possible it's not your machine at all that's the root cause of your low DPS, I'm not saying that is the issue but it's always something to consider when playing alpha releases, especially since you're not having issues with other games.

If it's the GFX card that is holding things up, I hear they're impossible to upgrade on laptops? Or is that just a warranty thing.
Laptop graphics cards are often soldered onto the motherboard which makes them really tricky to upgrade, some are not but even if not they can be expensive to replace (you can probably find out from PCS whether yours is soldered or not if you want to know).

tom0311

Bronze Level Poster
After about 30 seconds in game the GPU temp is up to 93 (which speccy reckons is in the red zone) and fps drops from 35-40 down to 15-20. CPUs all sat at 65.

Seen some posts with the 880m mentioned and they indicate I should have no problem running squad. Perhaps it's time to get a cooling fan and clean the thing out.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Seems like the temps is the issue there. 93 is certainly high. You could always lower the settings and turn on Vsync to reduce stress on the GPU but that would be wasting the power of the GPU.

tom0311

Bronze Level Poster
They're on low as it is, and vsync is definitely on. I've just ordered a laptop cooler and I'll try to raise the thing up a bit, see if that helps. Don't think anything else pushes it close to 93!

Cheers

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Oh then that is interesting, I guess that would just be down to it being an alpha then and not really optimized at all.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They're on low as it is, and vsync is definitely on. I've just ordered a laptop cooler and I'll try to raise the thing up a bit, see if that helps. Don't think anything else pushes it close to 93!

Cheers

A gaming laptop will require proper cleaning at least once a year to maintain normal temps. It would be very important to open it up and clean out any dust from the cooling lanes. Nothing external will lower temps unless the inside is clean.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A gaming laptop will require proper cleaning at least once a year to maintain normal temps. It would be very important to open it up and clean out any dust from the cooling lanes. Nothing external will lower temps unless the inside is clean.

I completely agree with this. As soon as I read your first post I thought 'clean it'. If it's never been cleaned in 2 years it will be full of muck and dust that's massively reducing it's ability to cool.

Get a can of low pressure compressed air (made for cleaning computers) and a soft brush. Open up the laptop as much as you can and use the air and brush to tease the dust, fluff and muck away from anything and everything. Pay particular attention to the vents in the case, the fan blades and the finned radiator right next to the fan. This is the heat exchanger and it's where the main cooling action takes place. There must be a very good airflow through there to keep the laptop cool, however it's also the place where fluff, dust and muck collect.

tom0311

Bronze Level Poster
I cleaned it about 18 months ago, not done it since as I hadn't noticed any adverse effects until now. I'll be sure to clean it out properly now. Thanks all.

tom0311

Bronze Level Poster
Gave it a clean out today. Not much on the fans, but a huge build up of fluff by the GFX card heat exchanger. 2 big clumps. It hasn't affected the running temperature at all, still sits around 91-93 but I am getting 40-45fps now in game :) Thanks guys, it's usually the simplest answer!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Gave it a clean out today. Not much on the fans, but a huge build up of fluff by the GFX card heat exchanger. 2 big clumps. It hasn't affected the running temperature at all, still sits around 91-93 but I am getting 40-45fps now in game :) Thanks guys, it's usually the simplest answer!

Yeah I imagine 93 is the target temperature, so fans only rise and clock speeds only fall to maintain that temperature.