Please check my potential purchase and advise :)

Hey there, after much deliberation and customisation and what little knowledge I have of PC's I've selected the following.

This is my max budget, if you can advise if this is a thumbs up then III be good to go.

If of course you can suggest any changes or suggest a completely different/better system then cool points will be awarded. :cool:

Waiting in anticipation

BBDB

Case PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T (3.30GHz/9MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard ASUS® M4A79XTD EVO: DUAL DDR3, S-ATA II, 2 x PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1, 2 x PCI
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6850 - 2 DVI,HDMI,mDP - DirectX® 11, Eyefinity 3 Capable
Memory
1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
3rd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
4th Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£48)
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£76)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio (£30)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Monitor IIYAMA E2710HDS 27" WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£239)

£1,382.00

I was just thinking it would save me having loads of external ones. Currently have 3 x 500GB and a 750GB. They just clutter things up and I'm always struggling with USB space.

Do you think I've gone a little mad.....? at 40 quid a pop I thought, bargin.

Freeley

The caviar blacks are quicker than the greens apparently (though more expensive).
Perhaps have 3 of those instead?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great spec, but we don't know what the PC will be used for. My guess is gaming and/or video editing, based on what you've put together. :)

Sorry should have mentioned that, to be honest just entertainment and photo editing. However, I used to be a avid gamer and I'm thinking of getting back into it. It's cheaper than going down the pub. So on the whole you think a pretty stable system? Would you suggest the Black drives opposed to the Green?

Rabbit

From what I have read, the Green drives are variable speed 5400-7200.

People have suggested on amazon.co.uk that it is better to use a Black drive as the primary boot disk.

Sone people seem to be using an SSD as a boot drive and this might give better performance than any other option?

So 1 x Black drive + 3 Green

Or 1 x SSD + 3 Green

Or 4 x Black drive (not good for the planet?)

Lots of options - LOL

Thanks for the info peeps. Lots to think about. Might have a play with costings. I'd love one of the SDS drives but they're so pricey at the moment. Like the idea of the Black and green combination. Mixing it up.... I love it. Might make that cheeky call this afternoon and get my order in. Exciting times. Just need to decide on a cool mouse and keyboard combo next.... Oh the pressure.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
So 1 x Black drive + 3 Green

Or 1 x SSD + 3 Green

Or 4 x Black drive (not good for the planet?)

Here's the options listed in order of performance:

1 x SSD + 3 Green

4 x Black drive

1 x Black drive + 3 Green

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Or you could just stick with Caviar Green HDD's, they're nice and quiet :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The order has gone in though. Went with one black and two greens. Did a last minute change on the processor and up'd the sound card. Exciting times ahead.... :)

I don't understand, what's with all this rep thing? Are they like cool points? I did notice it. How do you set it. Quite happy to do it, just don't know how.

Freeley

On the left side of a helpful post under the poster's details, there is a little star icon - if you click on that then you can add reputation to that user if they've helped in any way.
I was only joking anyway...sort of lol.