Please help me decide

yorkshire.lad

Hey, off to university in a few weeks, been looking for a decent laptop, I'm a medical student so need something fairly portable to take to and from lectures but I also enjoy playing games. I'm looking for something that will last me the whole 5 years of the course and have narrowed it down to either the 14" SkyFire III or the The 13.3" Optimus V

I'll be putting the 1600MHZ 8gb of ram in both (2 x 4gb sticks) and I have my own operating system.

As i see it the Optimus V has the GTX 765M whereas the Skyfire III has the GTX 760m. Will I see much of a difference?

The Skyfire III is £565.00 ex VAT
£678.00 inc VAT

The Optimus V is £607.50 ex VAT
£729.00 inc VAT

I have a 27" monitor in my room so gaming etc isnt that much of an issue. The optimus however has a 1920 x 1080 res while the skyfires is lower

Not sure which one to pick, only £50 between them, any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
personally i'd go for the optimus, but if you can try and get a quad core cpu in there if you are playing demanding games.

yorkshire.lad

personally i'd go for the optimus, but if you can try and get a quad core cpu in there if you are playing demanding games.

leaning towards the optimus tbh. and it does have a quad core i7-4700MQ :D , they both do. the only difference is the screen and the GFX cards.

rav007

Enthusiast
Hey, off to university in a few weeks, been looking for a decent laptop, I'm a medical student so need something fairly portable to take to and from lectures but I also enjoy playing games. I'm looking for something that will last me the whole 5 years of the course and have narrowed it down to either the 14" SkyFire III or the The 13.3" Optimus V

I'll be putting the 1600MHZ 8gb of ram in both (2 x 4gb sticks) and I have my own operating system.

As i see it the Optimus V has the GTX 765M whereas the Skyfire III has the GTX 760m. Will I see much of a difference?

The Skyfire III is £565.00 ex VAT
£678.00 inc VAT

The Optimus V is £607.50 ex VAT
£729.00 inc VAT

I have a 27" monitor in my room so gaming etc isnt that much of an issue. The optimus however has a 1920 x 1080 res while the skyfires is lower

Not sure which one to pick, only £50 between them, any advice is appreciated.

In physical quantities the 2 graphics cards are the same, if memory serves me correctly the 760m and 765m are the same number of cores (768 cuda cores) and 128bit memory bus with 4000Mhz frequency. However the cores in the 765m are clocked higher (850mhz vs 657mhz) due to it being a more efficient physical build. I believe they also make cpu's in this way so your i7-4700qm will be the same physical specimen as 4900qm but the difference will be in testing the 4700qm at a given clock speed was less efficient or produced more heat for the same amount of calculations (more waste) than the 4900. As computer components are heat-graded the i7s' and the nvidia gpus will have a certain wattage of heat so the cpus' and gpus' clocks will be altered according to thermal output.

In terms of gaming the 765m will have the edge, you could overclock a 760m to a 765m but you can overclock a 765m even further and with the GPUBoost 2.0 I think it overclocks automatically too. Taking the clock speeds 850/657 the 765m on paper best case scenario is 29% faster but in reality I think you will be seeing a 10-20% difference in gaming at the same resolution.

I would have said they are equal given the 2 screens on the 2 laptops are different but as you will be using a monitor I think the optimus V is the better investment