Please kindly tell me if this memory upgrade is possible?

airplus

Hi All
I need to bump up my RAM from 8 to 16G in my laptop.
These are the specs:

Showing Order Reference xxxxxx
Chassis & DisplayEnigma III 540: 15.6" Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM)8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics CardnVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics CardNONE
1st Storage Drive250GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD2500BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
down_right_arrow.gif

Partitions: 80GB, 30GB, 140GB
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
External Hard DriveNONE
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Power Cable1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor

Battery
Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)
Wireless Network CardGIGABIT LAN & INTEL® CENTRINO® ULTIMATE-N 6300 WIRELESS upto 450Mbps
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Is it possible? And if so, can I do it myself?

This laptop is a star and with a bit more RAM it would be perfect!!

Thanks in advance!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi All
I need to bump up my RAM from 8 to 16G in my laptop.
These are the specs:

Showing Order Reference xxxxxx
Chassis & DisplayEnigma III 540: 15.6" Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM)8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics CardnVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics CardNONE
1st Storage Drive250GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD2500BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
down_right_arrow.gif

Partitions: 80GB, 30GB, 140GB
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
External Hard DriveNONE
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Power Cable1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor

Battery
Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)
Wireless Network CardGIGABIT LAN & INTEL® CENTRINO® ULTIMATE-N 6300 WIRELESS upto 450Mbps
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Is it possible? And if so, can I do it myself?

This laptop is a star and with a bit more RAM it would be perfect!!

Thanks in advance!
Just asking, what do you need the extra RAM for?

airplus

Sure, I sometims run a VM on VirtualBox and they need a fixed RAM allocation. So while the VM is running I pretty much cannot do anything else. Also sometimes it crashes and aborts the session since I can only give a limited memory.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's an extremely old laptop, I personally wouldn't be putting money into it, I'd save that money for a replacement.

But if you absolutely have to, if you remove the bottom, you will see if it has a spare SODIMM slot.

You would need to find out the exact specs of the RAM you currently have if you just wanted to buy another 1 x 8Gb SODIMM

You can use CPU-Z to find out the memory specifications, you need to know the timings and voltages, and it's worth making a note of the Part Number as well:

1636132285880.png

1 x 8Gb of the same speed is roughly about £30 so not expensive, but you wouldn't be able to use it on any modern device so it would just be for this laptop.

airplus

It's an extremely old laptop, I personally wouldn't be putting money into it, I'd save that money for a replacement.

But if you absolutely have to, if you remove the bottom, you will see if it has a spare SODIMM slot.

You would need to find out the exact specs of the RAM you currently have if you just wanted to buy another 1 x 8Gb SODIMM

You can use CPU-Z to find out the memory specifications, you need to know the timings and voltages, and it's worth making a note of the Part Number as well:

View attachment 30342

1 x 8Gb of the same speed is roughly about £30 so not expensive, but you wouldn't be able to use it on any modern device so it would just be for this laptop.
Thanks for your response, I'm going to explore this more.
It seems I may have two available slots, now I need to check if that's the case and then finding the right memory cards.

Screenshot from 2021-11-05 19-47-49.png

Rairun

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, I bought a PCS laptop with 8GB RAM in 2014, then in 2017 I wanted to upgrade it to 16GB but PCS no longer stocked the part. I tried Amazon and was sent a dud (they refunded it without issues). Tried again on Ebay and had better luck, the laptop still works fine today (I'm actually using it right now, as my 5-month-old laptop developed an entire row of dead pixels and I'm waiting for the RMA). Just make sure you get the exact part number correct.