Poor frame rate

kwookie

Good evening,

I wonder if anyone could help...
I bought an Optimus IV with nVidia 660M. I installed GTA IV and been playing it for a while now with a good frame rate up until this morning when I ran the game and half way it turned bad. The frame rate dropped significantly. Also I noticed the fan works but not as loud as it used to under a heavy load. I didn't mind it being loud because I knew it kept the laptop cool.
My question is, is there anyway to control the intensity of the fan manually? Or maybe it's something else? Please help.

Thank you very much.

paul1224

kwookie

Thank you for your answer paul1224.
I actually knew about this and had it switched to nvidia graphics from the start. I ran the in-game benchmark and for some reason the game uses the integrated graphics anyway. Now instead of 60 fps I get 23 :(
I'll wait. Maybe somebody else knows what happened.

Thanks for your help anyway.

kwookie

I remember taking out the power lead while the game was minimized, however, right now the power settings are correct. I also changed the directory for Common Files in the registry but I don't know how that could change the frame rate.
I will try re-installing the game. In the meantime thanks for help.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I remember taking out the power lead while the game was minimized, however, right now the power settings are correct. I also changed the directory for Common Files in the registry but I don't know how that could change the frame rate.
I will try re-installing the game. In the meantime thanks for help.

This is a guess and based on nothing other than intuition, but is it possible that components of the video driver reside in Common Files and the move has caused the problem? Was your frame rate ok before the registry hack? Usually when something stops working it's because of whatever you last changed. :)

kwookie

Half of me thinks that this could be the problem, on the other hand I'm not 100% sure whether the frame rate actually messed up after I made the changes. What I think happened is:
I played the game, closed it, changed the registry, restarted the pc, noticed Chrome didn't work, then changed settings back to normal, restarted again and ran the game. It worked fine, then frame rate went down during one of the missions - Museum to be precise. Right now all registry settings are back to default. I haven't re-installed anything, just changed the common files directory back to drive C. Also installed new nVidia drivers today. Not from scratch though.
The fan speed worries me most, it still works but it used to be more sensitive and dynamic depending on what I was doing :(
Also Battlefield 3 is more choppy, used to work fine.

Thanks.

kwookie

Everything is working now. I downloaded Wise Care 365 and it fixed all the problems. It was the registry. Thanks for trying to help!