Portable gaming laptop (OptimusV 13.3")

Doggie52

I currently own an ASUS G53-SX that has served me well. Its GTX560M and the addition of an SSD made it a great laptop. It is unfortunately very heavy, and so I am looking to replace it with yours truly:

OptimusV 13
Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 13.3" Glossy QHD+ IPS LED (3200x1800) (Special Offer)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M - 2.0GB DDR5, 640 CUDA Cores - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE HYBRID GEN3 SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH

What I'm concerned about is the performance of a Hybrid SSD. I have only used SSD + HDD setups before and found them to be fantastic. Will an SSHD be up to par with this? If not (which is what I assume), how much worse will it be? How big is the SSD inside the Seagate 1TB SSHD? Is there a second HDD bay to put an SSD into should I find that I need this in the future?

Also, what are your thoughts on getting a Killer 1202 instead of the Intel N-7260? Is it substantially better?

Looking forward to your replies!

Best regards,
Doug

Last edited:

Doggie52

My sweetspot is around £850-900. A 15.6" is an option as long as it doesn't weigh much (<2.5kg) and doesn't cost above that.

But I'd rather look at this 13.3" and find out whether it has two bays and whether it would be an option for me to stick with the cheapest 500GB and stick a separate 2.5" SSD into it.

On the configurator there's an option for mSATA drives? Are they normal 2.5" drives? Does that signify the existence of a second bay?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My sweetspot is around £850-900. A 15.6" is an option as long as it doesn't weigh much (<2.5kg) and doesn't cost above that.

But I'd rather look at this 13.3" and find out whether it has two bays and whether it would be an option for me to stick with the cheapest 500GB and stick a separate 2.5" SSD into it.

On the configurator there's an option for mSATA drives? Are they normal 2.5" drives? Does that signify the existence of a second bay?

There are a few threads regarding high temperatures and noise on the Optimus 13.3". If it is for gaming I would also try to look at a better GPU than the GTX 850m. Is it just for gaming and general use? You could check the vortex LE but that's more than 2.5 kg. with the Optimus 13.3 you can have an msata ssd + an hdd.

Doggie52

There are a few threads regarding high temperatures and noise on the Optimus 13.3". If it is for gaming I would also try to look at a better GPU than the GTX 850m. Is it just for gaming and general use? You could check the vortex LE but that's more than 2.5 kg. with the Optimus 13.3 you can have an msata ssd + an hdd.

Actually, it's an 860M. And I'm using a 560M at the moment and it's really good, serves me well. GPU benchmarks tell me the difference with the 860M is quite massive, so I'm happy with that.

It's just for gaming and general use. My current G53SX is great, so I just want something that is at least as good as it but more portable.

I understand the mSATA + SSHD issue now. mSATA is a smaller format that fits directly into the PCIe slot, right?

Doggie52

Alright I've decided to go for the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB instead, as it's a step-up from my current SanDisk Ultra Plus 250GB. I have an external HDD I can use anyway.