Possible Dead Octane III. New Laptop suggestions

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi all,

With the possibility of my octane III being beyond repair I'm looking into a replacement machine. However I'm considering moving to a more portable machine. A little disappointed as I thought my octane would last me a good few years and its lasted me one.

I'm considering the recoil. Any one got one and notice and pros and cons they'd share?

I'd like to go back to 15'6 for the sheer portability of it but I also know it affects cooling and options on parts.

I'm happy for any input. I'm not going to set a budget this time but I'd welcome people's reviews on their machines.

Thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think they may have posted in other topics about this already. But if not, then certainly the OP should investigate a fix! :)

WRT smaller chassis and cooling, note that the CPUs in the non-Octane chassis are mobile CPUs unlike the desktop CPUs in the Octane. They use less power. So although the Recoil may have a less beefy cooling solution than the Octane, its components need less cooling afaik.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
One year and you're not going to investigate a fix??

I'll be sending the machine back for investigating but most of my year of owning this laptop was spent with RMAs over cooling issues. To the point the laptop was unusable for a few months. I'll not be holding out hope for a fix. Been disappointed with this machine and it's put me off getting a similar replacement.

I understand about the desktop CPU in the Octane vs the mobile CPU and the power needs etc. I'm looking for mainly decent performance( a few years at least this time) I've had a 980m a laptop 1080 and the recoil has a 1060. I don't want a particularly loud or hot running machine for my needs. I don't require desktop power for a laptop any more but I'd like as powerful a gpu as possible.