Possible new pc

smurph

I have an old PC, and am a bit behind in all the specs. etc, and am about to upgrade due to PC being slow and having an old CRT monitor (screen/graphics crashing).

I am considering the spec below, and I mainly surf ‘net, download music & vids, burn CD & DVD, and watch movies on it, and now want to send to TV (assume via DVI cable), any advise appreciated….

I would like it quieter than my current PC which is about 5 years old, are new ones now better, or should I get Processor & Case quieter fans?
Does it come tidy inside for future upgrading? I read a recent magazine report that says maybe not!

I have some questions on items below…..
1. Case: COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE (PRE-ORDER, DUE 30th AUG)

I don’t want the fancy lights that some have, does this one (it doesn’t say in description)?
2. Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i3-540 Dual Core (3.06GHz, 4MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Do I need faster, current is ?
3. Motherboard: ASUS® P7H55D-M EVO: MICRO ATX, USB 3.0 & SATA 3.0GB/s

How do I know if I need Micro or other?
4. Memory (RAM): 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Enough?
5. Graphics Card: INTEGRATED INTEL HD GRAPHICS (HDMI, DVI, 1920 X 1200)

Do I need onboard (no gaming)? OK for watching movies on PV thru TV?
6. Memory - 2 x Hard Disk: 2TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
7. 1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
8. Power Supply & Case Cooling:
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£25)

How do I know which I need?
9. Processor Cooling: SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)

Need?
10. Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
11. Monitor: IIYAMA E2472HD 24" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£179)
Suitable for watching movies? Do any of these have USB plugs here (to save bending down all the time)? Do they have inbuilt speakers?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums smurph :)

The specification you have put together will be more than adequate for the usage you have described, and has HDMI/DVI outputs to enable you to connect your computer to your TV.

We do tie all wires back with cable ties, and upgrading your computer will be relatively easy as there are often spare motherboard ports, slots for hard drives and spare power connectors on your power supply.

Regarding your questions:

1. This case does not have any fancy lights :)
2. For what you wish to do, this CPU will be fine.
3. All our cases accept either Micro-ATX or standard ATX - so there's nothing to worry about here.
4. Yes
5. Absolutely fine for movies, Blu-ray HD movies, and streaming to your TV.
8. The 450W will be more than adequate. You can probably go down to the 350W on this specification. Don't worry though, if the PSU is not enough our system will warn you before letting you order.
9. Not needed, but will keep your computer cooler and a little quieter. Your choice :)
11. This monitor does not have a built in USB hub, but for a few pounds extra you could purchase a USB hub (under the "USB Options" category) to solve this issue.

Meds

Hi Smurph,

I think PCS has pretty much covered all your questions there. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. :)

smurph

Thanks, happy with the responses.
Though I have limited space for monitor, and would ask if you can advise physical sizes, of the one I picked and others similar?