Possible over heating? Advice needed.

JaM1e

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys!

Been a long time since I've been on the forums due to my PC performing as it should, however recently I have came across a few random crashes where the whole PC freezes. The only way to resolve the issue is to turn the entire PC off by holding in the power button. Only tends to happen when gaming.

My specs are:

COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.80GHz)
ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
COOLIT ECO II A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER)
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Not sure if it's due to over heating, however I would of though with the cooling system in place this shouldn't happen. Everything is up to date driver wise, expect maybe mobo but not sure about touching drivers for that. I have opened the side panel and removed any dust that has clogged up the radiator which did help reduce the heat obviously, just want some general advice/opinions on what it could be?

Cheers

Jamie

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
have you tried reversing the overclocking to see if that could be making it unstable?

I don't think your mobo drivers would be causing it to crash, it does sound like an unstable system.

Use some software to check the temps if you are worried about them;
http://www.hwinfo.com/

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I use software like GPUZ, to monitor and record the gpu temps, to rule out overheating of the 580.

I'd also use ASUS probe II, to record the CPU temps, again to either rule in or out overheating of the cpu.

When said crashes happen, just check the temp logs.

Have you added any case fans to the system?