Possible Security Threat

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
A few months back I stupidly allowed a scammer remote access to my computer and they got on and installed a default add on from Firefox. After I caught on I turned of my PC immediately and booted it back up and reset my PC selecting remove everything. I have run several security scans using windows defender since and no malware has or threats have ever appeared. Just wondering as I’m not the most tech savvy (clearly) should my PC now be clear or is there anything else I should be checking or maybe get it checked by a professional? Thank you in advance and wasting your time on an idiot like myself 😣

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A few months back I stupidly allowed a scammer remote access to my computer and they got on and installed a default add on from Firefox. After I caught on I turned of my PC immediately and booted it back up and reset my PC selecting remove everything. I have run several security scans using windows defender since and no malware has or threats have ever appeared. Just wondering as I’m not the most tech savvy (clearly) should my PC now be clear or is there anything else I should be checking or maybe get it checked by a professional? Thank you in advance and wasting your time on an idiot like myself 😣
A reset will not clear things, you need to do a clean installation from scratch by method one here::

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
This had happened a few months ago and I haven’t had any issues. I was just a bit worried that there was something still on the system and wanted it double checked. Is the clean install essential? As I said no security scans have ever shown malware or threats. Is there possibly any thing else I could do to ensure there’s nothing there, I’m almost certain there isn’t but just want to be sure

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This had happened a few months ago and I haven’t had any issues. I was just a bit worried that there was something still on the system and wanted it double checked. Is the clean install essential? As I said no security scans have ever shown malware or threats. Is there possibly any thing else I could do to ensure there’s nothing there, I’m almost certain there isn’t but just want to be sure
What a reset does is just reset defaults of the OS, it doesn't clear anything.

A good virus or malware will not cause any noticeable issues on the system, that's what they're designed to do is work discretely broadcasting your passwords and bank details, emails and keystrokes without you ever knowing.

On a compromised system, no AV on the planet would show any issues, again, that's what a good virus does is render AV useless.

A clean install actually erases what's currently there and replaces it with a current image.

A clean install is the ONLY safe thing to do after a system has been compromised.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
What a reset does is just reset defaults of the OS, it doesn't clear anything.

A good virus or malware will not cause any noticeable issues on the system, that's what they're designed to do is work discretely broadcasting your passwords and bank details, emails and keystrokes without you ever knowing.

On a compromised system, no AV on the planet would show any issues, again, that's what a good virus does is render AV useless.

A clean install actually erases what's currently there and replaces it with a current image.

A clean install is the ONLY safe thing to do after a system has been compromised.
No problem, after the clean install should everything be fine? Thanks for your help

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Yes, clean install should give a true clean plate to work off.
Should I be worried that if there is Malware on there my details etc have already been broadcast? I’m almost certain when I went on they only installed a default add on from Firefox and hadnt got round to installing the f date version of Norton they were trying to make me purchase but I’ll still run the clean install to be safe

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Should I be worried that if there is Malware on there my details etc have already been broadcast? I’m almost certain when I went on they only installed a default add on from Firefox and hadnt got round to installing the f date version of Norton they were trying to make me purchase but I’ll still run the clean install to be safe
Personally, I would change all your passwords and cancel your bank cards. Just standard practice after something like this.

You wouldn't know if they'd installed anything, it would have been via a powershell script which wouldn't have shown anything on the screen.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Personally, I would change all your passwords and cancel your bank cards. Just standard practice after something like this.

You wouldn't know if they'd installed anything, it would have been via a powershell script which wouldn't have shown anything on the screen.
I cancelled the bank card at the time and changed all passwords

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
I would still do it again, you've been running on a possibly compromised system all the time since then.
This happened 4 months ago I’d say and haven’t seen as strange activity on any accounts or in my banking since then which leads me to believe that I got them off before anything was installed. Better to be safe than sorry though I suppose

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This happened 4 months ago I’d say and haven’t seen as strange activity on any accounts or in my banking since then which leads me to believe that I got them off before anything was installed. Better to be safe than sorry though I suppose
For the sake of a days work, it's not something I would trust to be ok just on good wishing.

Gavras

Master Poster
do not use FireFox, it has a bad habit of exposing passwords etc.

Edge is one of the most secure.

bottom of list is chrome.

Malware is a huge umbrella cover of various exploits, some will steal details, some will broadcast that your PC is open to exploit, some will allow your PC to be hijacked for Crypto Mining - for the latter this can be increase of fans coming on, slowing down of pc.

it’s really worth reading up on Malware and types of exploits.

@SpyderTracks has everything covered in what he suggested.

back to the beginning though, no one requires access to your PC.

Really avoid clicking links where possible, hover your mouse over them.

a common tactic is to send a lot of spam with an imaginary flashing arrow pointing at the Click Unsubscribe link, yep they put the malware link in the unsubscribe link.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
a common tactic is to send a lot of spam with an imaginary flashing arrow pointing at the Click Unsubscribe link, yep they put the malware link in the unsubscribe link.
Never unsubscribe from anything in any case, all you're doing is confirming that this is a live email address. Far better just to mark it as spam and forget about it.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Never unsubscribe from anything in any case, all you're doing is confirming that this is a live email address. Far better just to mark it as spam and forget about it.
Currently doing the clean install now, have changed password etc. Like I said It’s been a few months since and nothing suspicious has ever happened in regards to emails or money coming out of my bank. I rarely ever go in to anything on my emails other than for details on stuff I’ve ordered. Just a quick question though when I do the clean install am I best to delete all partitions?

Bhuna50

Author Level
Yes, clean install should give a true clean plate to work off.

Yes as long as you have also changed all your passwords for emails, banks etc.

Whilst things might appear ok it might be a few months before any data they did manage to get (eg passwords) is sold on or tried and tested so ensure you have changed anything you may have logged on to at any time on your PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
I’ve just had a BSOD while setting my account back up after the clean install. Is this something to worry about? I was getting them contastly when I first got the pc but after the full reset I did this is the first one I’ve got since

Bhuna50

Author Level
After the clean install have you run all windows updates until there are no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk