Possible to switch from Intel to AMD without starting waiting period over?

alexking

Hi all, I ordered a build right after Christmas for a PC with an Intel CPU (based off my previous experience with Intel and online CPU comparisons... clearly I need to start doing better research šŸ˜¬). I'd like to change the CPU to 5600X with a compatible motherboard, but I can only change the order to other Intel CPUs.

My order includes a 3060Ti, and I'm in pre-prod at 17 working days which seems to indicate that it'll probably enter build within the next few days.

Is there any way to switch over without just cancelling the order and making a new one? Considering the component shortages and everything I think I'd honestly rather get a worse-optimised PC in 2 weeks than having to restart and wait an extra month.

Current build:
Case
CIT PYRO RGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10600 (3.3GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUSĀ® PRIME Z490-P (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTELĀ® 665p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2000MB/sR | 1925MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CV SERIESā„¢ CV-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTELĀ® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

alexking

You'll need to give PCS a call, other folk have done it over the phone in the past

Perfect, will give that a try. Thanks!

EDIT: for anyone interested, I did switch configs over the call, but they ended up cancelling my original order and creating a new quote, so my position in any queues got completely reset. Disappointing to have extended my wait by probably another month, but probably still better for me in the long term to have switched.

Last edited: