Power supplies

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Is there a difference between a standard ATX PSU and a micro-ATX PSU?

Basically what I am asking is can I just buy a normal (Corsair 650W, for example) PSU and use it to power my build in a micro-ATX case/micro-ATX mobo?

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Oh and this is probably a really basic question, but what is the main advantage of a PSU being modular? Im not totally clear on it :S

Corfate

Author Level
Oh and this is probably a really basic question, but what is the main advantage of a PSU being modular? Im not totally clear on it :S

Modular allows you to remove the cables you won't be using, so it helps keep the case tidy, aswell as increasing the overall airflow as theres not as many obstacles the air has to travel past in your case :)

I think you'll be fine with a normal ATX Psu :) "think"

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Oh good, thats what I was hoping!!

I'm already scouting out components to live in my new InWin case thanks to PCS clearance :D

Corfate

Author Level
You still have the 24pin, molex connectors and a 4 pin mobo cable that are permanently in the PSU, but you can remove some momex's, PCI-E cables etc :) Basically, all the essentials are permanent :p

adahil

Gold Level Poster
So a modular one has everything you NEED, but has the option of removing cables instead of having them sitting around the case somewhere? Nice!

Corfate

Author Level
So a modular one has everything you NEED, but has the option of removing cables instead of having them sitting around the case somewhere? Nice!

Correct :)

Most cables in Modular PSU's are sleeved, so even better airflow and aesthetics :)

adahil

Gold Level Poster
I'm glad I'm not the only one who insists the inside of a PC should LOOK nice as well as work well haha :D

tom_gr7

Life Serving
mod psu's are ace! look awesome!but to be honest if you have a case with very good cable management and a non mod psu you could hide the cables behind the mobo tray.

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Tom, I snapped up the InWin Black Dragon Slayer case PCS were selling in clearance and it looks excellent for cooling and cable management :)

Basically I am going to build my first self-built PC into it, so I figured a modular PSU would help with me being fairly inexperienced at it, etc, since it would be less cables to manage!

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Is there a difference between a standard ATX PSU and a micro-ATX PSU?

Basically what I am asking is can I just buy a normal (Corsair 650W, for example) PSU and use it to power my build in a micro-ATX case/micro-ATX mobo?

Any opinions on this too mate?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Bearing mind I am trying to go fairly budget as its my first build, I've looked at this so far:

http://www.ebuyer.com/226457-powerc...0-dual-12v-v2-2-high-efficiency-psupc450aubam

Unless I can snap up a bargain somewhere that looks like a decent option. What dya think?

So are you building a pc just for general use? if so that psu would be fine, but i'd not bother with the mod bit, for a low budget pc.

Any opinions on this too mate?

You will have to measure the psu (check on corsair.com) and check with the individual micro atx case what size psu can fit.

adahil

Gold Level Poster
Yeah its gunna just be an everyday web surfing, word processing machine.

Thanks for the advice dude +rep