power supply needed for 2 gtx 460 s....not 650w

greybing

i bought my pc from you guys in autumn last year with the intention of adding a second gtx 460 at a later date.So with this in mind i used your configurator and it told me that the minimum psu i would ned would be 650w and consequently i purchased that.I have indeed bought a seccond gtx 460 which is as of yet un installed. I had another check with your configurator just now and it informed me that a 750w psu is required.So .....is my psu suitable

JSG10

Expert
Try this LINK States 433w at 100% load.
650W should be enough so long as you've not got too much else going on in there.

pengipete

Rising Star
Impossible to answer without knowing exactly what components you have - including any external ones such as USB mice etc - and any specific settings - especially overclocks whic raise the CPU'spower consumption. You can use any of the dozens of online PSU calculators such as http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine and input your full specs (or any changes you plan on making) but be aware that there are no guarantees - one 650W PSU may be able to handle the hardware while another 750W may struggle. The 433 Watts on that Nvidiea only apply to a specific set-up- including an overclocked, high-end CPU - but makes no mention of any other hardware so it's only value is as arelative comparison with other cards on that specific PC.

In your shoes, I'd try it and see. If you get any stability issues, you'll have a good idea of the cause. It might be a good idea to stress test the PC after installing the second card - better still, run a benchmark app like 3DMark before and after installing - that will also give you an idea of how much improvment it makes.

greybing

thanks,this is what i shall do as and when i get my pc working.I need to replace the mother board first unfortunately.