Power Supply

Simrid

Hi,

I am looking at buying a power supply for my machine. I currently have a 750W one but am planning on getting a modular one. Is there any modular PSU you would recommend me to buy? Same roughly around 750W with a budget around £70. If theres cheap and cheerful ones, please let me know ;)

Also, queit as possible please! :)

Thanks
Simrd

steaky360

I would recommend Corsair PSU's I've got the 1200W in my rig and its excellent! Fully modular with the option of getting fully braided cables too.

I think the Corsair TX750W PSU's are around £80-£90 (a little above your budget) but they are good!

Simrid

I would recommend Corsair PSU's I've got the 1200W in my rig and its excellent! Fully modular with the option of getting fully braided cables too.

I think the Corsair TX750W PSU's are around £80-£90 (a little above your budget) but they are good!

Thanks for getting back so quick.

The only TX750W I can see arn't modular, that's the problem. Seems to be you need to pay over £100 to be able to get a modular PSU.

steaky360

Hmmm aye sorry I didn't check if the 750 was modular...

Yeah you might be right, its arguable that if your case is sufficient you shouldn't need a modular PSU and its just 'nice to have'. The degradation in airflow of a non-modular PSU can be minimised with clever cable management. Of course, there is always the option of spending the cash for a modular :)

I would still reccomend going with the Corsair though even though they may be expensive - cant laugh at their warranty its brilliant

Simrid

Hmmm aye sorry I didn't check if the 750 was modular...

Yeah you might be right, its arguable that if your case is sufficient you shouldn't need a modular PSU and its just 'nice to have'. The degradation in airflow of a non-modular PSU can be minimised with clever cable management. Of course, there is always the option of spending the cash for a modular :)

I would still reccomend going with the Corsair though even though they may be expensive - cant laugh at their warranty its brilliant

Hmmm, yeah no problem.

Yeah I am looking at getting a new case along with a PSU. The case I want is a Coolermaster HAF X so I think the ability to have extreme cable management shouldn't be too much of an issue, what do you think? Had any experience with this case?

Corsair does look very tempting at the moment - Found a 700W OCZ Modular PSU for about £70 however, it's apprent that the cables may not be long enough for a tower case, not sure what to do...Although, you can get cable extenders right?

steaky360

Hmmm, yeah no problem.

Yeah I am looking at getting a new case along with a PSU. The case I want is a Coolermaster HAF X so I think the ability to have extreme cable management shouldn't be too much of an issue, what do you think? Had any experience with this case?

Corsair does look very tempting at the moment - Found a 700W OCZ Modular PSU for about £70 however, it's apprent that the cables may not be long enough for a tower case, not sure what to do...Although, you can get cable extenders right?

I'm afraid I have not owned the Haf X - Ruben (another forum member) might spot this and comment though as he has a Haf X - as for the cable management though, you wont have an issue hiding the cables if you end up not going for the modular PSU. The case is MASSIVE (you can probably swing a cat in it).

Yes you can get cable extenders and these will be a good option with a case like the Haf X with a window on the side, it will help the look of your rig. BitFenix Alchemy cables here: http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/premium-modding/alchemy-cables/ have been recommended many times on these forums.

Of course, if you are going to go for cable extensions it makes the benefits of modular PSU's even smaller as you'll be "hiding" the original cables anyway most likely. Still its your choice :)

Simrid

I'm afraid I have not owned the Haf X - Ruben (another forum member) might spot this and comment though as he has a Haf X - as for the cable management though, you wont have an issue hiding the cables if you end up not going for the modular PSU. The case is MASSIVE (you can probably swing a cat in it).

Yes you can get cable extenders and these will be a good option with a case like the Haf X with a window on the side, it will help the look of your rig. BitFenix Alchemy cables here: http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/premium-modding/alchemy-cables/ have been recommended many times on these forums.

Of course, if you are going to go for cable extensions it makes the benefits of modular PSU's even smaller as you'll be "hiding" the original cables anyway most likely. Still its your choice :)

Hmm, really am tempted to just get a normal PSU from Corsair and a HAF-X case. It seems to be a cool case. The extentions look awesome just can't see where to purchase them haha!

steaky360

Can you add cables even with a non-modular psu? (Even though you probably wont need to)

Yes you can still use the Bitfenix Extensions (or similar) whether you have a modular PSU or not!

Depending on how many you will need you may end up spending near £50 on these too though!

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
do note though, that if you add braided cables to normal cables, they are going to be crazy long! so will take some work managing them!

like this, its an old picture though,

SDC11013.JPG