Pre-Configured Machines vs Community Experts

Mairin

Before I get to the point, I did notice that on the amd gaming desktop page it shows the "Fusion 450 Gaming PC" as second in the list and priced at £750+ when in fact just like the name suggests it's actually £450+ and probably should go before the 650 on the list but I digress.

There are lots of really helpful people in the "Check My Spec" forum and combining their expertise with my limited knowhow I've ordered my little rig which is currently in pre-production :) That has very little to do with my point but I'm just excited ;) Anyway, the request for a £600-£700 budget gaming rig seems to come up quite frequently there and the general consensus there seems to come up with virtually the same rig everytime for about £650. Now since you sell a £650 gaming PC, wouldn't it be easier for that rig to be optimized a little to match the expert opinion and people to just be able to say "get the Fusion 650" rather than give pretty much the same totally custom link to each person asking? Now if the pre-built systems are designated by manufacturers or there's some debate on which parts are better than others I can understand it but when I've never seen a forum post advising to buy any of the pre-built setups (to me at least) it seems that perhaps they aren't ideally optimized. I'm not saying they aren't good machines, far from it, just that people seem to feel that other similar PCS builds are more "bang for your buck".

For example, let's take the quite common £650 gaming rig request (there seems to be a handful on the first page of the CMS forum most of the time) and use the AMD Fusion 650 as a base.

Base price of the Fusion 650 is £631 (not sure if that's due to a sale on parts or if the "650" is just an approximation).

Change the case to the £39 Alpha Trion (saves £20, £611)
Change the FX-6350 to FX-6300 (saves £12, total £599)
Change the graphics card to 2Gb Radeon R9 270X (adds £80, £679)
Change the 1st HDD to a 1Tb Caviar Black (adds £16, £695)
Change the DVD/Blu-Ray to a 24x DVD (saves £40, £655)
Remove the memory card reader since it's not supported by the case (saves £5, £650)

The end result of that is a £650 (exactly) gaming rig that would fall under the AMD Fusion 650 name AND match the community expert recommendations for the budget. I'm sure people would still want extra bells and whistles on it to suit their needs but shouldn't the pre-built systems be the recommended baseline?