Price difference between PCS & PCW (INITIA AMD 15'6)

cyrMar

Hi there,

I bought an INITIA 15'6 AMD laptop yesterday (I'll paste the specs below).
I usually buy my hardware at PCW, not PCS, but it seems like this configuration which I bought here for 653€ is also available at PCW for... 946€ o_O

Anyone has insight about what the difference between those two resellers might be ?
To me, it's a nearly exact match (NL51RU chassis from clévo, AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, 16Gio DDR4 2666MHz, 256Gio PCIe M.2 SSD...)

Thx for your time !

PCW Config:
(one can try it himself looking for "pcw" on google, then configuring the NL51RU chassis)

PCS Config:

Chassis & Display
UltraNote Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 8-Core Processor 4700U (2.0GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ Graphics (CPU Dependant)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 65W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf European Power Cable
Battery
UltraNote Series Integrated 36WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 GEN 2 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.2 GEN 1 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language
MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT FRENCH KEYBOARD
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen M

Author Level
Prices of parts vary a lot over short lengths of time and with Brexit and Covid-19 they have rocketed, although do not think that could be all of it but certainly part.

cyrMar

Prices of parts vary a lot over short lengths of time and with Brexit and Covid-19 they have rocketed, although do not think that could be all of it but certainly part.
Well PCW is actually located in France (which I'm from) & PCS is from UK if i'm not mistaken so... shouldn't brexit have made PCS part more expensive, not the other way around ?

barlew

Godlike
Well PCW is actually located in France (which I'm from) & PCS is from UK if i'm not mistaken so... shouldn't brexit have made PCS part more expensive, not the other way around ?
Why would Brexit make PC parts more expensive :S

Stephen M

Author Level
Brexit is impacting everything so while unlikely it is possible, certainly the Covid-19 situation will have pushed prices up and that will be the major factor.

barlew

Godlike
Brexit is impacting everything so while unlikely it is possible, certainly the Covid-19 situation will have pushed prices up and that will be the major factor.
No Brexit is impacting a lot of things. I still fail to see how it would raise the price of PC hardware in the UK as all this stuff is made and sold from Asia.

I suspect a lot of the price hikes over here are companies taking advantage of the demand and with the US having to increase there prices due to tariffs it helps mask the price rises over here.

Rakk

The Awesome
I suspect a lot of the price hikes over here are companies taking advantage of the demand and with the US having to increase there prices due to tariffs it helps mask the price rises over here.
The higher priced one of the two however is the one in PCWorld in France, so in this case I think its just PCWorld hiking the price, and PCS keeping it as cheap as they can :)

cyrMar

Yes I've questionned myself about offer & demand but 300€ ? Damn !

Bhuna50

Author Level
Does the price from PCS include any local taxes or has it been quoted without local tax applied at the moment?

cyrMar

Does the price from PCS include any local taxes or has it been quoted without local tax applied at the moment?
I paid 618€ at PCS (which is 653€ minus 35€ promo-code related discount)
618€ = 1.2 * 515€ (price excluding 20% VAT)
So that price includes shipping fees & taxes.

At PCW, the price is actually 946€ (including VAT) + 25€ (shipping fees) thus 972€ total.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The higher priced one of the two however is the one in PCWorld in France, so in this case I think its just PCWorld hiking the price, and PCS keeping it as cheap as they can :)
This is my thinking too. PCW have large overheads in their stores and staff, they're probably looking for a bigger profit margin too. PCS's business is volume based and with no expensive stores to pay for.