Printer loses connection to laptop

NRD

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with connection between Lexmark all in one and our two laptops. The printer is connected via wireless to the main desktop, the two laptops one with Win 7 64bit and one with Win 8 64bit both connected as extras. Every now and then for no reason ( at least to me ) one or other of the laptops gets the message that connection to the printer is not available. I have found that my only course is to re-install the printer software again. Off we go again on the next stint. I just feel that it has got to be something that I am or are not doing correctly, but what????
Its beginning to be a bit of a pain I must admit so here I am on bended knee.
Help, Help please.

Last edited by a moderator:

paul1224

Unsure if this is a solution but might at least help, the reason your laptops could be losing the connection is due to the IP address changing from time to time and this is the reason that installing the software initially helps but then intermittently the fault returns.

A way forward would be to:
- Go into your printers software options and find something like 'Network Configuration Page' so you can see the printers IP address and print it out
- Type this IP address into your browser and it should take you to the printers webpage
- Something like 'Setup/Network' should be there and go into this menu
- Look for something like 'IP Settings' and choose 'manual' instead of 'automatic'
- Enter the IP address and the default gateway from the printer print out (as above and anything else asked for)
- Re-start PC and see if it now will work

Not sure if the above will resolve the issue but it does sound like a changing IP address is confusing the software and making it redundant at times and the above may help alleviate this.

Last edited:

NRD

Hi Paul,
Now that sounds like a good answer to me, I will give it a try ASAP and get back to you. Thank you.