Printer not receiving info from PC

micben

Bronze Level Poster
I have a PCS computer linked to a Brother DCP195C printer, which has worked well for a long time. Suddenly, it stopped receiving data from the PC. instead of the "receiving data" message on the printer it remains "100% Normal" message which is it's default.

I have tried everything I can think of: changed cables, USB ports, rebooted, downloaded new drivers, even swapped the printer for a new one of the same model. No luck, everything seems normal but no signal. Control panel continues to report no printing in queue. The printer still works as a copier/scanner.

So it looks like (both) printers are fine, but not receiving the signal from the PC.

Is there something I am missing? I have spent hours trying to figure, Would be grateful for any help!

micben

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks very much, Ubuysa - Yes, I believe there was indeed a Windows update before the printer ceased - maybe I could delete the update? It seems like that could be the culprit.

I tried your tip regarding the print spooler, went through the instructions, stopped and restarted it. No luck, the same. But I notice that when I tried printing again, they showed up in the print queue. So both my printers are OK, the problem is the communication from the PC.

How do you remove a Windows Update, if indeed that is possible...possibly by System Restore?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks very much, Ubuysa - Yes, I believe there was indeed a Windows update before the printer ceased - maybe I could delete the update? It seems like that could be the culprit.

I tried your tip regarding the print spooler, went through the instructions, stopped and restarted it. No luck, the same. But I notice that when I tried printing again, they showed up in the print queue. So both my printers are OK, the problem is the communication from the PC.

How do you remove a Windows Update, if indeed that is possible...possibly by System Restore?
This was in the news this week about the latest update messing with printers:

I’d delete those two updates

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

micben

Bronze Level Poster
Wow! That looks like the answer! Thanks guys, what would we do without you...

Can you please tell a novice how to delete those Windows Updates?

micben

Bronze Level Poster
OK, well I found update KB4560960 and deleted it. KB4557957 was not in the list.
So, I did a restart, but the problem persists. Should I delete all updates in the latest batch (10.6.2020).
I noticed in that Betanews clip that only KB4557957 was causing printer problems and that later KB04560960 was added. But as I said only that one appears to be installed.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is the print job entering the print spooler on windows? It's obviously not getting to the printer, but need to confirm if it's successfully creating the print job in windows?

micben

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, I rebooted by restarting the computer and taking out the mains power cable for a few seconds. No change. Will probably have to wait for a Microsoft patch, as it's a known problem?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, I rebooted by restarting the computer and taking out the mains power cable for a few seconds. No change. Will probably have to wait for a Microsoft patch, as it's a known problem?
If you've uninstalled the update then it's not relevant, the problem has been removed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think we can assume that the two updates flagged by @SpyderTracks are no longer installed and we can discount them.

Let's start from basics. Open up Notepad, write some text and then print it.
Do you see the Print dialog box open where you select the printer, print range, etc.?

print dialog.jpg

If you click the Print button here, do you the see the print spooler dialog for the specified printer?

print spooler box.jpg

My printer is offline here ( that's so that I can capture these images before it prints). Yours should be online. Is it?

Now click the Display Print Queue... button. Do you see your document in the print queue?

print queue.jpg

micben

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you, Ubuysa,
I followed your instructions, opened Notepad, typed something, saw the print dialog box, saw that it was offline. I did not see this message before. There was no reason for it to be offline, that I could see. Then I tried something new, unplugged the printer from the mains (as I had tried several times before) but this time, waited for about 45 seconds then reconnected. Bingo! It was working. I have done test prints and all is now fine.
Now I am thinking, could that really be the cause? I'd established that those 2 updates were deleted but it was still not working. Could it really be that a longer disconnection solved it - or was that just coincidence.

And Nursemorph, your experience seems to back up that idea.

Anyway guys, thanks so much, I am sure I would not have solved it without your help!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you, Ubuysa,
I followed your instructions, opened Notepad, typed something, saw the print dialog box, saw that it was offline. I did not see this message before. There was no reason for it to be offline, that I could see. Then I tried something new, unplugged the printer from the mains (as I had tried several times before) but this time, waited for about 45 seconds then reconnected. Bingo! It was working. I have done test prints and all is now fine.
Now I am thinking, could that really be the cause? I'd established that those 2 updates were deleted but it was still not working. Could it really be that a longer disconnection solved it - or was that just coincidence.

And Nursemorph, your experience seems to back up that idea.

Anyway guys, thanks so much, I am sure I would not have solved it without your help!
When you’re cycling the power it takes a while for it to reset the device.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My Canon printer sometimes appears offline. A quick unplug and plug back in does the trick.

Via Tapatalk

micben

Bronze Level Poster
Would you believe it, the same thing happened again! Last night when I shut the computer down, a message asked me to Shut Down and Update. This time of course I was prepared, however there was no option to NOT accept the updates so I gave it the OK.

Today once again the printer was offline. I went to the list of the new update and there again was KB4560960. I deleted it and all is well again.
Now I wonder, next time I get the update message (attached to a red dot) how can I opt out?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would you believe it, the same thing happened again! Last night when I shut the computer down, a message asked me to Shut Down and Update. This time of course I was prepared, however there was no option to NOT accept the updates so I gave it the OK.

Today once again the printer was offline. I went to the list of the new update and there again was KB4560960. I deleted it and all is well again.
Now I wonder, next time I get the update message (attached to a red dot) how can I opt out?
All you can do is pause updates for up to 35 days i believe.

If you go into update and security settings, then advanced options, at the bottom you can set a period to pause updates for. I'd set it to 35 days for now until a fix is released.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
These troublesome updates are only for versions 1903 and 1909 it seems. My Windows 2004 system has neither update and no printer issues either. Perhaps you might try an upgrade to 2004?