Probably need to reset bios to default on my PCS Clevo Laptop

Hello guys,
I wanted to make a test to measure the difference in performance between a very slow and very fast ram memory module while building some code.

I turned on my laptop, went into the bios, went into the overclocking settings, and tried to set the ram "rate" from 9 to the lowest value possible 3.
Unfortunately, when turning on the laptop again i would be only greeted by a black screen, no more bios splash screen, nothing just black.
And it would restart periodically after like 1 minute to again a new black screen.

So my objective was to reset the bios, i opened the back panel but i couldn't find any battery for the cmos or anything like that.
Is there a keyboard combination or some pin to short to reset the bios to default?

thanks!

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
1st Storage Drive
500GB WD Blue™ 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 545MB/sR | 525MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS, 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS, 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also with some modern laptops, CMOS reset is done through a keyboard shortcut rather than accessing the battery. Should be highlighted in the manual if this is the case.

hi, thanks for replying,
@Bastet the cmos battery unfortunately it's not under there.
@SpyderTracks i don't have anymore my manual :( i tried to search for a pdf online but i couldn't find anything, do you know where to look?

Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
hi, thanks for replying,
@Bastet the cmos battery unfortunately it's not under there.
@SpyderTracks i don't have anymore my manual :( i tried to search for a pdf online but i couldn't find anything, do you know where to look?

Thanks!
Can you get the clevo model number, should be on a label on the underside of the laptop, I’ll have a hunt for one.

Hi the product code that i can see on the label on the backplate of my laptop (that i removed to access the ram) is P751DM2-G let me know if this helps thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi the product code that i can see on the label on the backplate of my laptop (that i removed to access the ram) is P751DM2-G let me know if this helps thanks!
Yeah, that’s the one, give me a mo as not at computer at the moment and I’ll have a hint for one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So after looking through, there's no Keyboard shortcut on this model, it is a CMOS battery which is labelled #6 in this image (obviously this is the naked board, there may be a layer on top that needs to be removed):

1597840541248.png

Source: http://s472165864.onlinehome.fr/anyware/manuels/P75xDMx_SM.pdf

So if this image is correct, it's looks to be just to the left of the RAM slots just under the 6 in this bottom photo:

1597840860703.png

Last edited:
@SpyderTracks , @barlew
Thanks for all the help!

yeah so i looked at those pictures and i started my quest to find the CMOS battery, i removed the cooling solutions, i removed the GPU and...
... it's not there!

see the attached image.
I don't really understand where it must have gone :D

[edit] i also looked around where i could, but i only see capacitors, no batteries or battery slots at least on this side.
(the other side is a pain to access)

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 540

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@SpyderTracks , @barlew
Thanks for all the help!

yeah so i looked at those pictures and i started my quest to find the CMOS battery, i removed the cooling solutions, i removed the GPU and...
... it's not there!

see the attached image.
I don't really understand where it must have gone :D

[edit] i also looked around where i could, but i only see capacitors, no batteries or battery slots at least on this side.
(the other side is a pain to access)
Ah!!! How odd! I’d contact PCS then, perhaps it is a keyboard shortcut. You’ll need to call or email as unfortunately web chat is only presales advice. Email takes a few days for a response.

barlew

Godlike
I have done a bit of googling and i am seeing a lot of people saying pressing FN+D whilst holding the power on button should reset the BIOS? Granted i have so far only seen this in forums and not on any official Clevo site.

@barlew yeah, I found that on google as well before dismembering my laptop :D
unfortunately, it didn't work, I gave it a good run through trying 5-6 times, also removing the battery, waiting for the system to discharge etc..

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
@mynameisgio, I would suggest you make an effort to find the CMOS battery because there's a better than even chance that in three or four years you'll need to replace it. If it's not in the bottom it will be under the keyboard (that's where it is on my old Optimus IV). PCS can give you details on how to lift the keyboard. :)

barlew

Godlike
@barlew yeah, I found that on google as well before dismembering my laptop :D
unfortunately, it didn't work, I gave it a good run through trying 5-6 times, also removing the battery, waiting for the system to discharge etc..

What a pain in the backside. It may be of no use but every site i have read it on said it can be mega finicky and can take a while to get right. Apart from that i suppose the only option left is contact PCS like Spydertracks said.

yeah, thanks a lot for the help guys!
I contacted PCS support, I'll let you know how the "Quest for the Lost CMOS Battery" is going to go, hopefully without too many sequels

barlew

Godlike
Yeah I'm pretty sure (90%) that it is an octane V, is there anywhere that i can look to confirm this?

I actually don't know how to check. From what I'm reading online i think the battery is under the keyboard like ubuysa said.
If you go to page 2-12 of this manual it shows you how to remove the keyboard.

(I assume its the same manual i linked to earlier but i cant check because my work PC blocks downloads.