Problem with Control center Hotkey - has stopped working

chrisssj2

I uninstalled game control center and update it with the corresponding files from clevo website.
I may have not rebooted for re-installing the new drivers (not sure)
Now I have uninstalled, rebooted, searched with registry scanner, ccleaner/windows 10 manager.
And re-installed using the drivers from clevo website.

There may have been an error in the cmd that flashes during the installation.. (not sure it flashed so quick)

Now when I run GameFeet.exe I get Combokeys has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working.
Same for ControlCenter.exe

Retried this process 2 times. each time I get this message.

Now I can't use the combokeys :(

KbColorPicker.exe is working fortunately so I still have my keyboard lights.

Can someone assist please. Also I don't have the cd driver nearby. if someone would suggest to install the drivers from cd instead of the website.
If someone says re-install windows 10 I will shoot them with a shotgun :D

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You won't like this much but your quickest and most reliable solution may well be a clean install of Windows 10. From reading what you said there IMO you've made two unwise choices:

1. Not rebooting after a driver uninstall or install - especially if you're asked to reboot. Many drivers are not fully installed (or uninstalled) until Windows reboots.

2. Running a registry cleaner is almost always a bad idea, unless you know exactly what every entry that will be cleaned is there for. My bet is that this is the source of your problem, I've seen way too many Windows systems screwed up by a registry cleaner. If your registry cleaner took a backup before it did the clean then restore the backup and try uninstalling/ rebooting/installing the problem drivers again.

If your registry cleaner didn't take a backup then a reinstall of Windows 10 is the only way to be sure your system is stable.

For the future, you might want to get into the habit of taking regular disk images. I use Macrium Reflect (free) from http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx. That will give you a quick way to undo problems of this type (by restoring the latest image). I have Macrium Reflect on a schedule taking a daily disk image to an external hard disk, Macrium is able to auto delete the oldest image so that I keep a rolling five images on the disk (i.e. for the last five days). As soon as I realise I've screwed something up, or if I remotely suspect I might be infected with malware, I just restore yesterday's disk image and all is well again.

chrisssj2

Hi thanks for your response.
Maybe I wasn't precise in my first post.

I only ran the registry cleaner, at the 2nd round of trying to install/reinstall.
Meaning the first time the problem already existed.
And while I understand what you say, I also have some experience with computers and registry cleaner. and I seriously seriously doubt this is the problem.
I think either it is because the internet drivers are different, I didn't reboot, or some unknown bug.

Re-installing windows 10 is NOT an option.
Installed and customized way too much already.

Don't mean to be rude but I find it frankly really annoying that in 80% of the cases I have a problem and post about it, some supposed computer "expert" comes along and says to have the "solution"
Re-installing isn't a solution. it's a workaround. While I do understand sometimes where people are coming from. Frankly it just makes me mad because I can predict it lol like I said in my first post.
Don't take it personally, just that people are hardly able or willing to look at the real in depth problem or don't find it worth the effort I guess.

And in all my years, I honestly never reboot after installing/uninstalling, and I mess around with computers alot.
This has caused no problems for me so far. So that's why I take it with a grain of salt.
This could be one of the cases where it did. But yeah.

I pressed every exe I could in the hotkey folder now everything seems to work.. lol don't know why and I reboot I probably have to do it again..
Atleast this is a better work around.. for now. until someone here can go indepth

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi thanks for your response.
Maybe I wasn't precise in my first post.

I only ran the registry cleaner, at the 2nd round of trying to install/reinstall.
Meaning the first time the problem already existed.
And while I understand what you say, I also have some experience with computers and registry cleaner. and I seriously seriously doubt this is the problem.
I think either it is because the internet drivers are different, I didn't reboot, or some unknown bug.

Re-installing windows 10 is NOT an option.
Installed and customized way too much already.

Don't mean to be rude but I find it frankly really annoying that in 80% of the cases I have a problem and post about it, some supposed computer "expert" comes along and says to have the "solution"
Re-installing isn't a solution. it's a workaround. While I do understand sometimes where people are coming from. Frankly it just makes me mad because I can predict it lol like I said in my first post.
Don't take it personally, just that people are hardly able or willing to look at the real in depth problem or don't find it worth the effort I guess.

And in all my years, I honestly never reboot after installing/uninstalling, and I mess around with computers alot.
This has caused no problems for me so far. So that's why I take it with a grain of salt.
This could be one of the cases where it did. But yeah.

I pressed every exe I could in the hotkey folder now everything seems to work.. lol don't know why and I reboot I probably have to do it again..
Atleast this is a better work around.. for now. until someone here can go indepth

I take your point, but you'll find that with Windows especially the quickest and most reliable way to solve problems like your is to reinstall. You could well spend a couple of days messing about trying to sort this issue and still not be 100% certain that it's all clean and stable. A reinstall will take less than half that time and give you the confidence of having a stable system. Reinstalling is most certainly not a workaround, it's a new install.

I guess it depends what you expect when you ask for help. Most people are keen to get things working properly again as soon as possible and, as I've said, often a reinstall is the best solution. If you have a heavily customised system that will take longer to reinstall then the smart move would have been to back it up so that you could recover from glitches like this.

I have never claimed to be an expert, though I have spent all my working life with computers of all flavours and operating systems since the early 1970's, so I have quite a bit of experience. I'm not at all offended that you think my reinstall suggestion "predictable" but asking for help and then rubbishing that help is a bit rich.

chrisssj2

Like I said anyone who will say re-install ill shoot with a shotgun :p I understand your reasoning very well. And no I don't have an backup. Would be best yes. But I currently don't have the diskspace.
Anyway, after rebooting, the machine runs the apps like normal now!! For some reason.
Though my colour customisations won't be applied after I run flexikey again which sucks

Yeah Maybe I should be clearer in what I wish, but I thought I was pretty clear with the no re-install comments. and then like ALWAYS people mention it. Like I can't think of that myself.
And a new install by any means is not an exact fix, so in my book per definition is a workaround for not fixing the problem at it root without starting from scratch.. I guess we disagree on that.

But thanks for your reply
I'm just the guy who'd rather spend hours upon hours finding the bug/fault if needed rather then re-installing everything. That is more satisfying to me, even if people don't understand it.