Problem with keyboard/mouse .... sticky keys virus?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I followed the link you gave me and it doesn't show me how to check in the BIOS, it only tells me to check the System Info?

I have read another article, that says you need to check if your PC supports UEFI to be able to convert disks from MBR to GPD (so that Secure Boot can be enabled).

It seems to suggest that if your computer has BIOS and Legacy, it doesn't support UEFI. So this means Secure Boot isn't available so I can't protect my device?
It says it step by step in the next section, you really need to read the article.

What are your full specs by the way, not sure if that's been stated anywhere?

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
It says it step by step in the next section, you really need to read the article.

What are your full specs by the way, not sure if that's been stated anywhere?
I have read the article - it says that if "Secure boot mode is set to off" and "BIOS is set to Legacy" that I need to follow a further article "instructions to convert the installation of MBR to GPT" - which I have read.

I have followed the instructions of that further article:
  • Open Settings.
  • Click on Update & Security.
  • Click on Recovery.
  • Under "Advanced startup" section, click the Restart now button
  • Click Troubleshoot
  • Click Advanced options
  • Command prompt
  • Type: mbr2gpt /validate

But at this point it doesn't work as the instructions say it should (it doesn't validate) so I can't go to the next step (mbr2gpt /convert).

Here's what is says when I try to validate it:

MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 0
MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk
MBR2GPT: Validating layouT, disk sector size is: 512 bytes
Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 0

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would suggest you stop and take a breath here. You're running down a rabbit hole I believe.

You started out complaining about a keyboard issue, which could possibly have been malware but could equally have been a dozen other things not related to malware. Now, based on a message you clearly didn't understand, you're diving off into the realms of converting MBR formatted drives to GPT in an attempt to activate UEFI boot.

WHY?

There is as yet (AFAIK) no evidence that your keyboard issue is malware related and the only advantage of UEFI booting is that it's better protected against rootkits and boot sector malware. Your PC is perfectly fine running in legacy mode, it just means you're at slightly more risk of a rootkit or boot sector malware infection.

Windows Defender and Firewall, and normal good practices when on the Internet, will make the likelihood of a rootkit or boot sector infection infinitesimally small, and certainly not something that it's worth you going down the path of trying to convert a Legacy/MBR system to UEFI/GPT...!

If you want to migrate to UEFI then wait until the next time you need to reinstall Windows and switch UEFI mode on in the BIOS at that point, so that the Windows installer creates GPT formatted drives and UEFI boot mode automatically.

I'm afraid you're making a classic troubleshooting mistake here of allowing yourself to get sidetracked. Forget Legacy/UEFI mode and concentrate on your keyboard issue. I don't believe that your keyboard issue is connected to Legacy booting, and as Abraham Lincoln once famously said; "one war at a time".

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
I would suggest you stop and take a breath here. You're running down a rabbit hole I believe.

You started out complaining about a keyboard issue, which could possibly have been malware but could equally have been a dozen other things not related to malware. Now, based on a message you clearly didn't understand, you're diving off into the realms of converting MBR formatted drives to GPT in an attempt to activate UEFI boot.

WHY?

There is as yet (AFAIK) no evidence that your keyboard issue is malware related and the only advantage of UEFI booting is that it's better protected against rootkits and boot sector malware. Your PC is perfectly fine running in legacy mode, it just means you're at slightly more risk of a rootkit or boot sector malware infection.

Windows Defender and Firewall, and normal good practices when on the Internet, will make the likelihood of a rootkit or boot sector infection infinitesimally small, and certainly not something that it's worth you going down the path of trying to convert a Legacy/MBR system to UEFI/GPT...!

If you want to migrate to UEFI then wait until the next time you need to reinstall Windows and switch UEFI mode on in the BIOS at that point, so that the Windows installer creates GPT formatted drives and UEFI boot mode automatically.

I'm afraid you're making a classic troubleshooting mistake here of allowing yourself to get sidetracked. Forget Legacy/UEFI mode and concentrate on your keyboard issue. I don't believe that your keyboard issue is connected to Legacy booting, and as Abraham Lincoln once famously said; "one war at a time".
Hi Ubuysa,

Thanks for your advice. I actually did start a separate thread for my security concern but it got deleted.

As mentioned, my keyboard problem seems to have resolved itself for now (fingers crossed). But whilst I was trying to solve that problem, I uninstalled McAfee and that's when I learned that my "standard hardware security is not protected" through Windows Security.

Yes that worried me, so I wanted to fix that (I also thought that perhaps if my computer was vulnerable that might be the cause of my keyboard issues).

Of course you are right "one war at a time".

If you don't think switching to UEFI is a necessity, I'll follow your advice :)

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys

my keyboard is playing about again when I try to type lowercase it types uppercase and when I try to add a fullstop its adding an > arrow

So apologies if my sentences arent punctuated properly

Please can someone help me with this!

It would be much appreciated

Last time this happened my computer ran into a process died critical error

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi guys

my keyboard is playing about again when I try to type lowercase it types uppercase and when I try to add a fullstop its adding an > arrow

So apologies if my sentences arent punctuated properly

Please can someone help me with this!

It would be much appreciated

Last time this happened my computer ran into a process died critical error
You've established already that they keyboard works ok 'sometimes', so this is some sort of intermittent issue - they're always the hardest to solve.

1. One distinct possibility is that you have some software running sometimes that interferes with the keyboard. It's well worth noting down what you have running and what you were doing at the times when the keyboard misbehaves. You should also write down what you have running and what you were doing when the keyboard is behaving normally.

If you do get the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED stop code and BSOD there will be a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp. Upload that to cloud storage somewhere and post a (public) link to it here. I'll be able to tell you what process died and possibly why from that dump.

2. Another possibility is that there is some sort of corruption in your Windows installation. This could be a bad or wrong driver or even some major corruption in the Windows libraries. One way to check for this is to open an elevated command prompt or PowerShell session and enter the following two commands....

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

That will check your component store for corruptions, if the output says anything other than 'No component store corruption detected' then stop and post a screenshot of what it does say.

If the above dism command runs ok then enter the following command....

sfc /scannow

That will check critical Windows system files for corruptions. If it reports anything other than 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations' then post a screenshot of what it does say.

3. The third possibility is that your keyboard is misbehaving. What keyboard do you have? Does it require a special driver, if so do you have that driver installed?

It would be worth trying a different keyboard if you have one, or can beg or borrow one. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination and eliminating the keyboard itself will be a big step forward.

4. Your Application and System logs might hold some clues so it's worth exporting them and uploading them here for us to take a look through. Here's how to do that....

a. Enter the command eventvwr into the Run command box. The Event Viewer will open.

b. Locate the Windows Logs folder in the left hand pane and expand it by clicking on the arrow (>) to the left of it.

c. Right-click on the Application entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'Application-forumname' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

d. Right-click on the System entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'System-forumname' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

e. Upload the Application-forumname.evtx and System-forumname.evtx files to the cloud and add a link to them in your post.

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
You've established already that they keyboard works ok 'sometimes', so this is some sort of intermittent issue - they're always the hardest to solve.

1. One distinct possibility is that you have some software running sometimes that interferes with the keyboard. It's well worth noting down what you have running and what you were doing at the times when the keyboard misbehaves. You should also write down what you have running and what you were doing when the keyboard is behaving normally.

If you do get the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED stop code and BSOD there will be a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp. Upload that to cloud storage somewhere and post a (public) link to it here. I'll be able to tell you what process died and possibly why from that dump.

2. Another possibility is that there is some sort of corruption in your Windows installation. This could be a bad or wrong driver or even some major corruption in the Windows libraries. One way to check for this is to open an elevated command prompt or PowerShell session and enter the following two commands....

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

That will check your component store for corruptions, if the output says anything other than 'No component store corruption detected' then stop and post a screenshot of what it does say.

If the above dism command runs ok then enter the following command....

sfc /scannow

That will check critical Windows system files for corruptions. If it reports anything other than 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations' then post a screenshot of what it does say.

3. The third possibility is that your keyboard is misbehaving. What keyboard do you have? Does it require a special driver, if so do you have that driver installed?

It would be worth trying a different keyboard if you have one, or can beg or borrow one. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination and eliminating the keyboard itself will be a big step forward.

4. Your Application and System logs might hold some clues so it's worth exporting them and uploading them here for us to take a look through. Here's how to do that....

a. Enter the command eventvwr into the Run command box. The Event Viewer will open.

b. Locate the Windows Logs folder in the left hand pane and expand it by clicking on the arrow (>) to the left of it.

c. Right-click on the Application entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'Application-forumname' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

d. Right-click on the System entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'System-forumname' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

e. Upload the Application-forumname.evtx and System-forumname.evtx files to the cloud and add a link to them in your post.
Hi Ubuysa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

I've followed your instructions (I haven't been able to check another keyboard yet, but I will).

After using the command: dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth it said there was no component store corruption detected. But when I inputted the second command you gave me: sfc /scannow, it said there were some corrupted files and that it has successfully repaired them (I've included the screenshot).

Do you think that might have fixed the problem?

I've also gone into the event viewer to get my Application and System logs, as you asked for. But I'm not sure how to upload them to the cloud?

As for software that I've used when the problem occurred, I was using Scrivener at the time (I'm a writer). That said, the last time this happened (before my computer had stopped working and I had to reinstall Windows) I didn't have that programme on my computer. I have very few programmes on my computer now because I didn't want this problem to happen again.

I do have a free app called f.lux installed (that was installed last time, but I've always had that since I got the computer) but that's about it.

Thanks again so much for your help, it really is appreciated!

Thanks,

Zoe

Attachments

• cmd prmpt screenshot.png
    cmd prmpt screenshot.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's possible that sfc fixed your problem, reboot and see how it is.

You can probably upload the logs straight to these forums, unless they're huge.

Keyboard problem whilst using a specific writing app rings alarm bells. I would suggest trying to see whether the keyboard will misbehave without Scrivener running....

RichLan564

Bright Spark
The sticky keys pop up you refer to in your fist post, was it this ?

If it was then thats activated by pressing the shift key 5 times in a row, i would try a new keyboard as soon as you can, might be a dodgy shift key ?

1630499690495.png

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster

Keyboard problem whilst using a specific writing app rings alarm bells. I would suggest trying to see whether the keyboard will misbehave without Scrivener running....

I'll try uploading the logs with this post then.

As for the problem occurring when I used the writing app, Scrivener, that's when I first noticed the problem (the mouse started highlighting everything then the keyboard began playing up again) but it happened afterwards even when I wasn't using it.

This morning, my keyboard was working fine, then as I tried to reply to your post about 15 minutes ago but my keyboard started misbEHaving again (IT'S NOW STARTED AGAIN, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS)

I'll try attaching the log files....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

As for the problem occurring when I used the writing app, Scrivener, that's when I first noticed the problem (the mouse started highlighting everything then the keyboard began playing up again) but it happened afterwards even when I wasn't using it.

This morning, my keyboard was working fine, then as I tried to reply to your post about 15 minutes ago but my keyboard started misbEHaving again (IT'S NOW STARTED AGAIN, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS)

Try a different keyboard too.

RichLan564

Bright Spark

You need to try a new keyboard, that needs ruling out first.

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster

So the problem has got worse (the sfc didn't fix it sadly). I can't even log into Windows now on Startup (I'm having to use another computer to type this).

I tried to attach the log files with my last post but it said the forum didn't allow files with that extension :(

I'm going to go out and buy a new keyboard now to see if that solves it. But I'm not getting my hopes up because the mouse has been playing up too! The first sign of trouble was the mouse highlighting everything when I clicked it. Then the keyboard started playing up. Unless there's a hot key on the keyboard that affects the mouse I'm not sure how a new keyboard will help. But I know it's a case of elimination.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated!

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
The sticky keys pop up you refer to in your fist post, was it this ?

If it was then thats activated by pressing the shift key 5 times in a row, i would try a new keyboard as soon as you can, might be a dodgy shift key ?

View attachment 28964
Hi, RichLan564,

Apologies, I missed your reply!

Yes, that messaged does pop up every so often, which is very frustrating. But I'm not touching the shift key. And sometimes the keyboard has worked, other times it hasn't.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Hi, RichLan564,

Apologies, I missed your reply!

Yes, that messaged does pop up every so often, which is very frustrating. But I'm not touching the shift key. And sometimes the keyboard has worked, other times it hasn't.

As above, try a new keyboard, the first rule in fault finding with anything is rule out the obvious.

You may not be touching the shift key but your keyboard might be, after all they are an electromechanical device which can and do fail.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
have you tried inverting your keyboard and giving it a good shake and blowing it out to eliminate the possibility of any muck causing keys to stick.
I know it sounds silly, but i've known it happen in the past

Rakk

The Awesome
have you tried inverting your keyboard and giving it a good shake and blowing it out to eliminate the possibility of any muck causing keys to stick.
But make sure there is a bin nearby :)
Even when cleaned out fairly regularly it can still be pretty gross (ok, psoriasis probably makes mine worse)

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
I tried shaking it but that didn't help. I wouldn't know where to start taking it apart so I've gone out and got a new keyboard instead. It's working at the moment but since it happens intermittently I don't know if it's fixed the problem or not (time will tell).

I didn't think it would be the keyboard because I was having trouble with the mouse too (it kept highlighting everything when I clicked it). Again though, that was intermittent.

Fingers crossed the new keyboard has fixed it!

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I tried shaking it but that didn't help. I wouldn't know where to start taking it apart so I've gone out and got a new keyboard instead. It's working at the moment but since it happens intermittently I don't know if it's fixed the problem or not (time will tell).

I didn't think it would be the keyboard because I was having trouble with the mouse too (it kept highlighting everything when I clicked it). Again though, that was intermittent.

Fingers crossed the new keyboard has fixed it!

The mouse behaviour is also a side effect of the accessibility settings that appear to be happening, for instance “>” is shifted “.” Which you said was also happening when Caps came on

Entrepreneur3636

Bronze Level Poster
The mouse behaviour is also a side effect of the accessibility settings that appear to be happening, for instance “>” is shifted “.” Which you said was also happening when Caps came on
It's working great at the moment; fingers crossed it has solved the problem!