Problem with my PSU (i think)

MrMike

Hi, sorry if i miss something but i am new here.

I bought my custom PC about 5 months ago. After about 3 weeks the PSU blew with a spark and a bang after torrenting and gaming for a few hours, returned it and it came back with a new PSU.

Recently i have been trying out a new game (DotA 2), and after about 2 hours the PC starts to smell really strongly of burning electrics. Also the fans on my cpu and graphics went like mad, i realised there was no 'exhaust' fan on and thus, fitted one to the motherboard (The fans now barely make a noise), still the burning smell continued.

So, last night i thought, in my infinite wisdom, that i would download a stress tester for my PSU. It lasted for 90 seconds before my computer turned off and now it will will not turn on.

Now, there is no point in me returning it again, even tho it is under warranty, as they will just put in another rubbish one.

Just to tell you all, i only think it is the PSU, i do not now for def. The LED light is on on the motherboard, so i am assuming there is a current running too it, but maybe not enough to turn the comp on?? i do not know.

Now my question, is, if it is the PSU... What do you recommend? can i pick it up today? and do you think i need anything else?

My comp specs are:

motherboard is an ASUS but cannot remember the model
amd phenom 1090t x6
16 ddr3 corsair
geforce gtx 550 ti

the PSU says on it "Model ATX-450" probably a rubbish cheap one since it has blown twice now.

Anyway, hope i get a response soon, and that i have made sense.

Thanks, Mike

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Best phone PCS to sort this out,
and they dont use "rubbish" components.

Last edited:

MrMike

yea, thats what i want.. good components, my own fault for being cheap lol

if i dont get a reply in the next hour i will give them a call.. but i hate phones lol

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Hi Mike, what's your order number please and I'll have a look at what we can do.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Karmic response for torrenting? :D

You'll either have to phone then or use the Live Chat on the main site. Although a Mod/Admin may respond on here, nothing can be done about the order/problem as the forums are not an official channel for support.

(Jak stealing in by offering support...damn you Jak! :D )

MrMike

order number? i havent ordered anything yet... i am wondering if anyone can say that it will definitely be the psu.

if it is, then i will pone up and take it from there :p

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
I'm confused, have you ordered this from us? If so, can I have your order number :D So I can check the spec and history of your order...

If it's not from us, buy a better PSU :p

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Yes but you did order it 5 months ago...which means you will have an order number on your account page on the main site. That will enable Jak there to look at your order/spec/previous support etc.

MrMike

did not order it from yourselves.. as i said, i did it cheap. (on ebay lol)

sorry im not very clear. i will ring up when my little girl is having a sleep

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
This makes much more sense! And explains why my sleuthing turned up no orders.

Unfortunately we only sell parts to our existing customers, so it may be worth going to ebuyer/scan/aria to get yourself a new PSU, I would probably recommend getting a Corsair PSU as they are the bee's knees. You can get anything from a 400W-1500W, but I would advise either a 550W or a 650W for your system, probably between £60 and £80.

However, feel free to ask any questions, and me or our lovely forum members will happily point you in the right direction.

MrMike

ohh, sorry i did not know you only sell to your own customers.. my bad.

Thanks all for the advice, really appreciate it.

MrMike

ye, i was just looking on there.. thing is i wanted it today, got a game tonight so im struggling.

it is either wait and miss the game, or pay over by about £20 at pcworld.

either way i lose lol

^^thank you

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
I got a PSU from PC World once, it was very noisy:

hamster_powered_computer_xsmall.jpeg

Attachments

• hamster_powered_computer_xsmall.jpeg
    hamster_powered_computer_xsmall.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 68

MrMike

ye, i know, i know.... i will miss the game ande go for corsair from ebuyer.

Thanks all for ur help, i really appreciate it xx