Problem with Vortex IV 15 price on configurator ?

daveeb

Enthusiast
Hello all,

i've noticed there have been a few changes on the configurator recently. I see that now the basic 15 inch Vortex IV costs £1130 and the 17 inch version costs £960. I think the 17 inch has been that price for quite a while so i assume the 15 inch prices are wrong ?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would assume it is due to being a different chassis. For an official response you may need to contact PCS directly.

daveeb

Enthusiast
Actually on closer inspection the 15 inch includes the nVidia 780 graphics card in the basic spec. Not sure why that would be but it explains the price difference.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
This also happened last year. The 17" became cheaper than the 15".

I think it may be down to levels of stock and a sign that the Vortex V may be on the way.

This is speculation of course and for an official responce you would need to get in touch with PCS

daveeb

Enthusiast
Question (to myself) is do i wait for the Vortex V (or Skyfire IV) or bag the Vortex IV while it's still available ?
I mainly want a 17 inch screen, chassis that will take 2 conventional hard drives AND a blue ray writer drive (which the Skyfire III stopped supporting), backlit keyboard (preferably customisable), I7 processor and a decent (but not necessarily top end) grahics card.
Anyone know (based on past changes) what sort of price markup there may be going from Vortex IV to V or is that an impossible question to answer as spec as yet unknown. ? Thanks

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I think the chasis themselves are arround the same price year after year but the GPU prices might change. I think that the Vortex V will support the new Nvida GTX800m series gpu which look like beasts from what i've read today.

If it was me i would wait but again there is still little work on the Vortex V yet.